A&H

BAY vs MCI

Joshref

RefChat Addict
Early yellow for Cancelo for his first foul (looks to have been given for Bayerns third foul in short space of time), Upamecano red carded and un red carded and Tuchel booked for complaining (based on Upamecano performance across both games so far, he was probably complaining about him staying on the pitch 😂).

Could be an interesting one based on first 20

The Referee Store
I have absolutely no idea what the AR was doing there, waiting until after Turpin has showed the red card before raising the offside flag.

Also really poor management of the penalty from Turpin. If something was thrown on the pitch that is for him to deal with, he cannot allow Goretzka to walk in front of Haaland as he was about to take the penalty, absolutely no doubt in my mind that this has put him off.

Penalty award itself I can understand, defender started with his arms behind his back then after the shot was made they came out and made contact with the ball. I think had they been in that position the whole time he'd have been OK, but difficult to argue the arm didn't move towards the ball.

I have no idea how Ferdinand et al can describe that as a harsh penalty, he puts his arms behind his back, then sticks his arm out to block the shot!

Yeh it was a penalty for me, but the management of the game from the team in the first half was appaling. The AR for the red card and the ref with the pen was dreadful

Dont necessarily have an issue with the high card count but could be interesting to see how it's managed for rest of game

How has the offside not been relayed via the comms kit before the red card comes out? Turpin is a very experienced elite referee. I think that then rattled him for the rest of the half.

Probably the comms issues that caused the delayed kick-off. Not sure how precisely he was "rattled". Cool, calm, and correct decisions.

I say it every time, seemingly always involving Man City games, but please keep it to refereeing only and not lurch towards fan posts. I'm not aiming that towards anyone in particular, just putting it out there as I can see where this is going to go.

Probably the comms issues that caused the delayed kick-off. Not sure how precisely he was "rattled". Cool, calm, and correct decisions.
There's no way with VAR they would allow the game to continue if comms were down, but certainly agree he didn't looked rattled. Not sure Turpin could ever look rattled, he's about as calm looking as it comes.

This is refereeing related, its how those in high places want us to referee the game and they're getting so incredibly wrong. Why shouldn't that be called out?

All you need to do is look at the various stakeholders on twitter and elsewhere calling it out.

It was the very definition of am unintentional handball.

I'm positive the Bayern pen shouldn't have been one because it deflected off a Akanji (edit) and the arm is in as reasonable a spot as can be expected. Upamecano one I can understand and apart from that, I think Turpin showed excellent consistency throughout. That man could lay down in an ice bath and cool the water down

Last edited:
This is refereeing related, its how those in high places want us to referee the game and they're getting so incredibly wrong. Why shouldn't that be called out?

All you need to do is look at the various stakeholders on twitter and elsewhere calling it out.

It was the very definition of am unintentional handball.
Stakeholders on Twitter don't understand the laws. They (the officials) aren't getting it wrong, they are giving what their pay masters have told them to give. If your boss tells you to do something a certain way and you refuse you'd be looking for a new job.

As it happens I agree with you on this, the penalty against Man City I just can't see what Akanji could possibly do with his arm. The penalty for City was spot on I thought, his arm moved from behind his back towards the ball. Perhaps he was too honest with his starting position of the arms, but that is always getting given.

I just don't want it going down yet another "we are Man City, everyone is against us" thread as so often happens.

Stakeholders on Twitter don't understand the laws. They (the officials) aren't getting it wrong, they are giving what their pay masters have told them to give. If your boss tells you to do something a certain way and you refuse you'd be looking for a new job.

As it happens I agree with you on this, the penalty against Man City I just can't see what Akanji could possibly do with his arm. The penalty for City was spot on I thought, his arm moved from behind his back towards the ball. Perhaps he was too honest with his starting position of the arms, but that is always getting given.

I just don't want it going down yet another "we are Man City, everyone is against us" thread as so often happens.
You're right, it's what their paymasters are telling them. No blame on ref, 100% on those telling them what to do. No one wants this.

Back