The Ref Stop

Barca v Espanyol 16 cards

DJIC

Referee Lahoz had anything but a quiet return from the World Cup.

Good material for new referees, don’t use this chaotic style!

From wearing jewellery, to rushing in to flash points, dropping your cards, showing Yellow & Red at the same time, one in each hand, over-turning an arguably correct red card? I’m sure there are more learnings in this 3 minute highlights video.

Hoping somebody can find a more extended highlights package.

The Ref Stop
Saw a bit of footage on SSN & TT. Granted our friend Lahoz has a bit of a rep, rightly or wrongly, but annoys me is the media rarely blame the players behaviour when excrement hits the fan.

Only seen one view of the overturned red card, but was it really a clear and obvious mistake? View I saw looked like a boot aimed at the back of a grounded player's head.

Not convinced about the penalty, seen many more convincing fouls in the area ignored.

I'll say the same about Lahoz as what I said during the World Cup: he tries to keep the game flowing and stay out of the way, and when it works he is great. When it doesn't work he ends up with cards in double figures and looks like a rabbit in headlights, dashing around trying to correct things.

The penalty is absolutely laughable, really can't believe VAR hasn't got involved there.

I’m not a fan of Lahoz’s style but I certainly don’t have an issue with the penalty.
Whilst accidental, Alonso has stood on the Achilles of the attacker and prevented him from jumping to head the ball. Intentional or not this is still a foul.

Last edited:
Would you as VAR see Clear & Obvious & recommend referee review his sending off decision for boot to head contact?

Would you as VAR see Clear & Obvious & recommend referee review his sending off decision for boot to head contact?
Lahoz obviously thought the blue 4 has intentionally kicked the opponent who was on the floor. I don't think so, rather they just got tangled up, so I would say VAR were correct to recommend a review.

It really is a text book example of how not to referee. He sees something that hasn't happened, goes racing in with his red card, even dropping his yellow in haste. Then gets given his yellow back and shows it in the direction of the player he has already sent off and seemingly shows another red straight after. In doing all of that he didn't give his colleagues any chance to help him out, including AR1 who was right on top of it (unless he was in his ear, but I think it happened too quickly for that). He just looks incredibly flustered when things are going wrong.

Back