A&H

Ball hitting tree overhanging pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the same camp as many others on here to be honest where this issue is concerned, in as much as with things like the overhead wire, or even a tree branch protruding onto the FOP say, near the touchline, I'll clarify with both teams that they're okay to simply play on in the event of contact and then just crack on without any needless disruption.

In the case of the obstruction in the OP's original post though, where a goal has resulted almost directly from and as a result of this "contact" then I'd definitely be blowing for a restarted corner kick or the dropped ball option.

I'm guessing that with it being a youth match (no age given) the ball hitting the tree probably caused many of the youngsters to hesitate or lose concentration momentarily (except the one who had the presence of mind to head the ball into the net :D ) which again, makes it an easy sell to disallow the goal and restart.

At the bog-standard ( I'm only a Level 5) grass roots matches that I referee in, people are generally suckers for the concept of "fairness" when it comes to odd events like this and so I tend to go with that mode of refereeing. :)

The Referee Store
But I ain’t going to be observed for promotion so you can beat your head against a wall all you like. Teams have always been happy, everyone just wants a bloomin’ game of football, so we have one.
As referee, you can effectively do as you wish. However, I was explaining what the correct position is.

I recall from a few years ago a local amateur team cut overhanging branches from trees adjoining their pitch. It was a council pitch but they were the sole users. This resulted in a complaint from a local resident and after much heated and sometimes unpleasant discussions the team were banned from playing on council facilities.

Thread revival, ball hit overhanging branches in a game earlier, stayed in play, can't find in the LOTG where it mentions this type of thing.

Anyone mind pointing me to it please?

Tia

We did, in fairness. I was on the line, ball went up in the air next to touchline but stayed in play due to wind, lots of calls for boop, but we carried on, then at ht I spoke to ref and hadn't thought about the outside interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back