A&H

Ball hitting tree overhanging pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthLondonRef

Hi all,

I've remembered a local youth Sunday league game I did when I was a young referee and first starting out. The following incident happened. I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on what you would have done and what decision you would have given and why. Thanks.

- Local typical park pitch
- One goal is just in front of the edge of the playing fields so there is a bush separating the playing fields and a farm. On the edge of the boundary there is a large tree, probably around 40 ft tall, but a large branch is overhanging onto the playing fields. This branch/branches are pretty high up probably around 10 feet or so above the crossbar and overhanging and encroaching onto the field of play in the middle of the goal by about 6ft.

This is a rare occurrence but having played on that pitch as a youngster for years, I can't remember an incident ever involving "the tree". It was so high up I don't think anyone even paid it any attention but......

Corner sent in. Of course, corner was overhit and ridiculously high (but irrelevant), ball hits leaves/branch, drops directly down and an attacker heads the ball into the goal. What would you give in that situation?

The Referee Store
There are many examples of 'permanent' stuff overhanging a pitch. Either trees as in the example above or wires on many 3G pitches. Critical for the referee, in advance of the game starting, to decide what his course of action will be if the ball hits this stuff .... and then communicate this clearly to club officials and teams (or captains at least). Whilst people might still moan at you during the game for playing on or for giving a drop ball, as long as you've made clear your choice in advance then you're covered.

If you neglect to do this, then my advice would be to give a drop ball as a) this is correct in law and b) it's more in the 'spirit of the game'

There are many examples of 'permanent' stuff overhanging a pitch. Either trees as in the example above or wires on many 3G pitches. Critical for the referee, in advance of the game starting, to decide what his course of action will be if the ball hits this stuff .... and then communicate this clearly to club officials and teams (or captains at least). Whilst people might still moan at you during the game for playing on or for giving a drop ball, as long as you've made clear your choice in advance then you're covered.

If you neglect to do this, then my advice would be to give a drop ball as a) this is correct in law and b) it's more in the 'spirit of the game'

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm gonna reveal my hand. I didn't even notice the high tree branch was encroaching onto the pitch because it was so high, I don't think anyone did. In fact, I think it was autumn and a large amount of leaves growing on it made it worse however....

At the time in that split second of "what do I do", I seemed to remember my instructor on my course stating something about "permanent" stuff and "if it's there the whole time, it's part of the pitch", unlike a dog which runs on. Despite the manager of the team who had conceded moaning, I took quite a firm stance with him, gave the goal, and said it's part of the pitch, there's nothing I can do, and as the home team it's your responsibility to sort out your pitch. A much less confrontational decision would have been a drop-ball, however I gave the goal and I've always wondered if I was right or wrong, or if there is no correct answer.

I used to referee a team who had the facility of 3G pitch which was hired out as small sided football pitches so they had 2/3 wires running along the width of the pitch and nets to separate those mini pitches. The wires were high but not high enough (maybe 2-3 meters off the ground) and indeed on a couple of occasions they interfere with a pass, throw in, you name it. The first few times I used to give a drop ball, then I decided on a retake of the restart. But as @Russell Jones said, I've always warned teams beforehand of what to expect when the ball indeed hits those overhanging wires.

I do a summer league where a large tree overhangs, round about halfway line, very high up but on occasions the ball does hit it
Thing is, everytime I, or I believe, any ref turns up, the aging home secretary always asks....."have you been here before, you know there is a tree.....and if the ball hits it....WE JUST PLAY ON!!!.........( his volume raises as he says this)
Am thinking once in 1933 or so there must have been a referee who dared to stop the game cos the ball hit the branches and this guy see's it as his personal mission to make sure it never happens again...

I'd be tempted to apply the futsal law and give a throw to the opposition.

In e.g. Badminton IIRC it's retake if it hits anything hanging down from the ceiling but change of possession for hitting ceiling.

Given the aggro of retakes and drop balls in open play I like the futsal law more.

Its a drop ball for outside interference. Although if directly from a restart Id be inclined to allow a retake off said restart.
Those wires pee me off and I do my best to get them to take them down before starting. Another to add to the 3g /4g thread and why i aint a fan

Just to add my 2p worth.

A 3G pitch I sometimes officiate has a wire running overhead, along the hallway line.

I tell both sides, managers, anyone else that will listen, before the game that if the ball hits the wire from a restart - free kick, goal kick, throw in etc, we’ll just take it again, if it hits in open play, we just play on.

Same for both sides.

There is one pitch I frequent where there are a lot of overhanging trees on one touchline. I cover this during pre match manager talk and captain coin toss / talk. Tell them that if the ball hits the tree and comes down in play we play on. If it hit’s the tree and goes out we do whatever we would do if it didn’t hit the tree. Play to the whistle etc. I have the Assistant on that side watch careful and tell him to use his voice if need be to help the players (“still in” etc). Never been a big issue but I do think it’s important to define your plan with the teams very clearly before the match starts.

I have done as above indoors when ball hits roof. If its going out for a throw at halfway, I give a throw. If it hits roof on halfway spot, drop ball.
It should be a drop ball everytime but its never caused an issue

LotG say dropped ball for this in 11-a-side, yes?

Yes, this is the only option in adult football governed by the NLS of the FA. Any other decision is wrong!:punch:

Just to add my 2p worth.

A 3G pitch I sometimes officiate has a wire running overhead, along the hallway line.

I tell both sides, managers, anyone else that will listen, before the game that if the ball hits the wire from a restart - free kick, goal kick, throw in etc, we’ll just take it again, if it hits in open play, we just play on.

Same for both sides.

Sorry, if you are being observed for promotion, then you are failing to apply law properly and your marking should take the consequences. :wall:

The Home club have hired a ground which is not compliant. Any issues they have (or the Away team) should be taken up with the grounds owners. They COULD take the wire down and re-hang after the game. But they don't want the hassle.

I have done as above indoors when ball hits roof. If its going out for a throw at halfway, I give a throw. If it hits roof on halfway spot, drop ball.
It should be a drop ball everytime but its never caused an issue

Indoor football has its own rules, so you can do as you like.

Yes, this is the only option in adult football governed by the NLS of the FA. Any other decision is wrong!:punch:

Sorry, if you are being observed for promotion, then you are failing to apply law properly and your marking should take the consequences. :wall:

But I ain’t going to be observed for promotion so you can beat your head against a wall all you like. Teams have always been happy, everyone just wants a bloomin’ game of football, so we have one.

The Home club have hired a ground which is not compliant.
Non compliant with what?
My memory may be failing me but I doubt overhanging wires will make them non compliant with LOTG. In fact as you pointed out LOTG does tell you what to do it they interfere with play.

Thought this may be appropriate here. Image is from about 18 months ago. The tree on the left has not been trimmed (has grown bigger if anything). It drops a fair bit of twigs on the ground. Another question is if a twig visibly changes the direction of the ball will you consider it outside interference?

1517992064893.png

@one First of all I'd try and make sure I'd cleared off as many twigs from the pitch as possible pre-match - in the area it doesn't look like it would make too much of a difference, I'd only really be concerned about it around the goal area - having said that, if we had to stop the game every time the ball hit a twig etc. on a Sunday league match you wouldn't have a game

Reactions: one
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back