A&H

Ball hits me

I really don't see how or why we should stop play for a dropped ball if the only reason for it is because the players expect it.

I get this frequently when defenders stop, expecting an offside. No Sir, it's not offside. As @socal lurker said, a loud shout of no and manage the game from there.

Similar with injuries, if I think a player needs help ('serious' is my discretion) is stop play. Otherwise if 'players' want the game stop they always have a choice of kicking the ball out.
There are a few differences, but the big one is you have caused the problem. It's game management.

Obviously the best approach is not to get hit by the ball in the first place, but it happens to us all occasionally !

The Referee Store
There are a few differences, but the big one is you have caused the problem.
A problem by whose definition? For me, if it is a problem the law actually requires you to stop play. Regardless, this line of discussion started on stopping play when players expect a dropped ball after hitting the referee, even when there is not a 'problem'.

Let's say the ball hits you and there is a perceived problem by you and some players, but not by law. You are saying you would stop the game. Where do you draw the line? Let's say the ball doesn't actually hit you but you get in the way of the player with the ball and he loses the ball. Do you stop the game? Or the ball hits you and goes out of play. Do you restart with a dropped ball? (And many more scenarios)

The point is, when the law is clear, it is our job to apply it as is so that we don't become LWR. It is for players to know the law they played under. If they don't, it's not our job to follow their expectations even if unfair. For decades, ball hitting the referee meant nothing, referees applied this consistently regardless of if it was fair or if players know it. And sometimes this was very unfair (goals being scored from it)

Consistency is a much bigger key here than the occasional insignificant unfairness. Anything significant, the law already accounts for.

Back