A&H

ball has passed goal line

The Referee Store
On PL yesterday, AR ran towards half way line, left hand outstretched, palm upwards, flag in right hand.

I saw that as well, I’ve also worked with an AR who bolted down the line with the flag in their right hand and right arm outstretched pointing the flag towards the center circle.

@zarathustra @PinnerPaul Have no idea if this is an old directive but when I've had older NARs, they all seem to do this. Odd movement, sure I remember reading somewhere in the LOTG guidance that it specifically should not be used.

This is a bit odd... I still don't get the idea of the left hand!

I can crab like the wind but I would never crab after signalling a goal. I signal the ball is over the goal line with the flag in my right hand (same for GK, corners and tight goals). Once the ref has seen, then it's 30 yards at pace for one man and his dog in the rafters - flag still in right hand.

Certainly diff here, almost every pre match talk has the line
" flag up and set yourself on fire" ( a line which has clearly been handed down year after year), at tight goals,

Anyone factual enough to see if there is approved signal for such things globally?

" flag up and set yourself on fire" ( a line which has clearly been handed down year after year), at tight goals,

Anyone factual enough to see if there is approved signal for such things globally?
Why the left though?

The global signal for this is the one directed by the global body, IFAB, in the global book, LOTG :p

I would be interested to know if the Scottish signal is actually a directive or a myth (handed down from one referee to another like most other myths). Obviously the only way to work that out is to see the relevant circular from Scottish FA and the best person to find that circular would be an Scottish referee.

Ok if we need to refer to the exact wording , its raise the flag to attract the referees attention then continue with the normal procedure of running quickly along the touchline towards the halfway line. There is then a full stop. As opposed to the guideline above, for a "clear " goal, which mentions " without raising the flag"
Nowhere in the wording is reference made to when to drop the flag in the OP situation of "ball just over line for a goal", so if we are concentrating on the book being the bible then, justification can be made for retaining a raised flag as we run towards the halfway line.

i think you've just argued against yourself there @Ciley Myrus! :cool:

The 'normal' procedure is defined in the preceding paragraph of running upfield without raising the flag.

so if you raise the flag then continue the 'normal' process, then you're running upfield without a raised flag.

If it wanted a different process to normal it would have said so.

On PL yesterday, AR ran towards half way line, left hand outstretched, palm upwards, flag in right hand.

How the hell can an ARs mechanics be so poor at that level??
Especially when after a certain point, mechanics and 'looks' are often all that separates one AR from another.

Crap like that just reinforces the idea of politics being more important than performance, doesn't it?

But you have raised the flag in the " just over the line" goal
Nowhere are you told when to drop the flag...

Certainly no arguement, debate maybe

What's the normal procedure? (presumably 'normal' means, the procedure when it's clearly in the goals, which is more 'normal')
Just to run upfield without a raised flag, yes?

We are still with flag raised to attract attention though. Nowhere are we told when to drop flag, as, clearly, we cannot write down in text when that attention will be attracted...

This is a bit odd... I still don't get the idea of the left hand!

I can crab like the wind but I would never crab after signalling a goal. I signal the ball is over the goal line with the flag in my right hand (same for GK, corners and tight goals). Once the ref has seen, then it's 30 yards at pace for one man and his dog in the rafters - flag still in right hand.

I'm guessing the logic is that for a goal referee points towards centre circle, so AR is doing the same thing - whilst running back for added emphasis.

IF you're going to point to centre line as an AR, then left hand IS the logical hand to use I guess?

We are still with flag raised to attract attention though. Nowhere are we told when to drop flag, as, clearly, we cannot write down in text when that attention will be attracted...
What's the normal procedure for signalling a goal?
Also, it says attract the refs attention THEN continue. Not sure why you're saying 'it can't know when you get the ref's attention'.
You simply don't continue to the running until you have his attention.

Reactions: one
This is going nowhere (well, between me and you anyway), ATTRACTING someones attention is a different thing altogether to ACTUALLY GETTING there attention.
In your games, if you want to do your thing, thats fine
in mine, i will be running flag raised fast as can away from goal line
in mine, my assistants will do the same
everybody in the place will know and notice the AR is "giving a goal".
To stand still at corner flag with flag raised (as you saying not to run UNTIL we have refs attention) to me, indicates, infringment.

So when do you drop the flag? By this logic, you're stuck running around with a flag up for the rest of the game because there's no specific instruction to drop it!
Well actually 'logically' whatever flag signal you make for any incident (offside, goal kick) you have to keep it (while running around) untill the next incident with a different signal comes along ;)

Well actually 'logically' whatever flag signal you make for any incident (offside, goal kick) you have to keep it (while running around) untill the next incident with a different signal comes along ;)

But, is there an order of preference for offences and when you drop the signal?

What if you flag for a straight red leg breaker, the red doesn’t acknowledge you (or give the foul) and then the next offence is a careless trip on the halfway line?

Should you keep signaling for the more serious offence?

But, is there an order of preference for offences and when you drop the signal?

What if you flag for a straight red leg breaker, the red doesn’t acknowledge you (or give the foul) and then the next offence is a careless trip on the halfway line?

Should you keep signaling for the more serious offence?
You would continue to signal until you've been acknowledged in some way. Be it a whistle or a thumbs up or an advantage signal from ref (examples).
I would like to think that your flag agitation for a red card offence would match the severity and be one the referee could not miss.

Back