A&H

ball has passed goal line

akokkalis

How an assistant referee has to signal that a ball has clearly passed the goal line for a goal scored and come back to field?

The Referee Store
Depends at what level and what instructions the referee has given you pre-match. At the higher levels (where there is a comms kit and assuming there is no goal-line technology), I would probably run down the line like with any ordinary goal but shout down the comms kit a goal had been scored.
Lower down, probably flag up in the air, wait for referee to look over, run down the line.

Flag up and burn yourself out running away frm goal line. Flag ideally in left hand
Why left hand? That's something I've never come across. We've always stuck to the 'keep the flag in the hand closest to the referee' rule.

Flag up until the ref blows the whistle and then sprint up the touchline.
Agree with this. Flag up is 'something has happened'. It always precedes another signal.
Look at your referee too. Eye contact is important here.

If you just run up the field, it may get mistaken for you just following play back out. If you have the flag up and the ref has missed it and play is continuing, then you may need to shout to get his attention.

This is when the far AR needs to think about trying to get the referee's attention as well (perhaps by mirroring a signal).

Flag in left hand is correct if you're on left backs/right wings which is the norm. Hand closest to ref is technically correct but it will be the left

Flag in left hand is correct if you're on left backs/right wings which is the norm. Hand closest to ref is technically correct but it will be the left
It should be left when you're crabbing, or sprinting towards the goal line. But the hand closest to the ref will be your right when you're running towards half way?

I see what you're saying, but in practice I don't think you'll end up turning and running up the line, just crabbing quickly for 15/20 yards so it would be in your left hand

To signal this kinda goal as AR is a raise flag and sprint away from goal line, flag raised in left hand with the theroy of, its a goal, ball goes to half way line
picture it in head, it would look awkward for AR to sprint like a demon one way, with flag raised indicating the other way?

How an assistant referee has to signal that a ball has clearly passed the goal line for a goal scored and come back to field?
Some situations are explain by LOTG clearly and concisely and this is one of them. This forum is good and it gives you different views about some matters but the lotg should be the first source of reference.

Page 180 (practical guidelines).

1523178171354.png

I see what you're saying, but in practice I don't think you'll end up turning and running up the line, just crabbing quickly for 15/20 yards so it would be in your left hand
No, you run side-on, not crab. Especially for something like this you'll run faster than normal to make a very clear 'goal' signal.

To signal this kinda goal as AR is a raise flag and sprint away from goal line, flag raised in left hand with the theroy of, its a goal, ball goes to half way line
picture it in head, it would look awkward for AR to sprint like a demon one way, with flag raised indicating the other way?
You drop the flag, then run.

Our instructions in Scotland are to raise flag to indicate ball over goal line ( for a goal), buzz ( if applicible) , shout "goal goal goal" ( if comms), keep flag raised in LEFT hand and set yourself on fire running away from goal line

Of course if anybody doubts thats the protocol in Scotland they are welcome to contact the referee dept for clarification rather than dispute it on here with me

Edit, if eye contact can be made during this process thats a bonus but the ref seeing you bolting up the park with flag up should be enough

Fair enough. You guys just might be the only ones doing it that way :p

I suppose if you're running with the flag raised then it makes sense to have it in the left hand so you're not blocking your view (same reasoning behind having the offside flag in what would be the 'wrong' hand for any other free kick)

For anybody else, eye contact would be a prerequisite to sprinting up the field though - after all, if the ref's back is turned he's going to miss all of that.

Our instructions in Scotland are to raise flag to indicate ball over goal line ( for a goal), buzz ( if applicible) , shout "goal goal goal" ( if comms), keep flag raised in LEFT hand and set yourself on fire running away from goal line

Of course if anybody doubts thats the protocol in Scotland they are welcome to contact the referee dept for clarification rather than dispute it on here with me

Edit, if eye contact can be made during this process thats a bonus but the ref seeing you bolting up the park with flag up should be enough
Can you find any clip of an AR running fast with the flag raised in the air. I have never seen it at any level. I must admit it sounds like a very strange instruction.

You must be a much quicker/more diligent crabber than me then! It might be down to my glass ankles, but I can't comfortably crab at anything more than a very gentle jogging pace (i.e. if defenders are walking up with the ball out of play). Anything faster than that and I'm switching the flag to my right hand, turning side on and running.

I'd also say there are multiple situations in a match where running is always going to be appropriate. The "goal" signal discussed above would be a fairly rare one, but whenever you're checking ball placement for GK's, running as fast as you can to regain the offside line is a good idea. Plus whenever an offside line pushes up, it's vitally important that you keep up with it, turning and sprinting if necessary if they're sprinting up.

Ha I fear my ankles any time I crab at all!

When in need (and only when I'm being assessed!) I can go quite quickly side to side!

I cover this in my pre-match instructions, and I ask the assistants to raise the flag and keep it like this until I've blown the whistle and all of the players have seen what a brilliant position they are in. Otherwise you risk the assistant having legged it before the players see the flag, and the inevitable shouts of "how has he seen that from there".

Had one on my own a few years ago where the ball is hitting crossbar and everything else near the line. Striker peels away celebrating and looks at me in disgust at my no reaction and called it a ‘cheat decision’. Took me a second to compute this and I initially saw orange. Stopped play and called him over, went yellow with a massive bollocking. Regretted that later as he did use the cheat word, but not directly. Thought later I should have gone red. Without Lino’s goal line decisions are at best guesswork! Honest guesswork not cheat guesswork!

Last edited:
Had one on my own a few years ago where the ball is hitting crossbar and everything else near the line. Striker peels away celebrating and looks at me in disgust at my no reaction and called it a ‘cheat decision’. Took me a second to compute this and I initially saw orange. Stopped play and called him over, went yellow with a massive bollocking. Regretted that later as he did use the cheat word, but not directly. Though later I should have gone red. Without Lino’s goal line decisions are at best guesswork! Honest guesswork not cheat guesswork!

Ugh I hate it with no linesmen when teams appeal for anything remotely near the bloody line. Had a keeper collect the ball in the goal area, and one cheeky lad, right next to me appealed for a goal. I was like "Come on, seriously?" At a stretch it was, maybe, on the line, but no way was it over.

Back