A&H

AVL vs CHE

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillH

Level 7 Referee
Thought they got that foul call spot on, clear elbow in the back, some might think it looks soft but its all about where the foul occured on the player so happy they overturned goal

The Referee Store
It was a shove and surprised it wasn't given in real time by Craig Pawson. However it's just frustrating that VAR has been turning a blind eye all season to similar incidents and worse including a rugby tackle in mid-week.

Despite what some on here want everyone to think, refereeing standards in the PL have dipped this season. The "Clear And Obvious" directives are soo grey and murky, no one including the referees operating VAR knows what it actually means anymore

Here's a question though regarding the Luis/Caicedo incident. Luis held back Caicedo and was clearly going to get a yellow card for the foul. Caicedo annoyed by the foul on him, the 2 players then square up to each other with Luis grabbing Caicedo's shirt and both players receive a yellow card.

Whilst it's unlikely any Premier League referee would do it, however is there not a case in the laws of the game where a referee would be correct for giving Luis a yellow card for the initial foul, then a 2nd yellow for adopting an aggressive attitude or is it all deemed one single incident?

Here's a question though regarding the Luis/Caicedo incident. Luis held back Caicedo and was clearly going to get a yellow card for the foul. Caicedo annoyed by the foul on him, the 2 players then square up to each other with Luis grabbing Caicedo's shirt and both players receive a yellow card.

Whilst it's unlikely any Premier League referee would do it, however is there not a case in the laws of the game where a referee would be correct for giving Luis a yellow card for the initial foul, then a 2nd yellow for adopting an aggressive attitude or is it all deemed one single incident?
Typically from the IFAB quizzes, if two offences happen in a close proximity of each other. Then you are good just punishing the one (there are a lot of exceptions to this).

But if he did it, I am sure he could justify it in law.

He would be correct in law to punish both incidents, but it’s a tricky sell.

Two hands in the back of Gabriel at Newcastle was worse than this. That goal stood.

Inconsistency is the word. This is the single most annoying thing about the premier league.
Totally disagree, this was far more of a foul than the Newcastle one you mention. It’s a clear deliberate act to push the player forwards before the ball gets there.

My initial thought was that it was a foul (barge). Surely Craig Pawson must have seen it (as it's where the ball is being played) so he must have thought it was ok at the time. Was it a "Clear and Obvious" error ? who knows (that's sooo subjective). But I suppose sending him to the screen to have a second look is the correct thing to do. At least he came up with the correct decision in the end.

Whilst it is probably a foul, is it a clear and obvious error? Why has Pawson missed it? Would it be given on the half way line? Others have rightly said, we have seen far worse fouls go unpunished this season. Interestingly, there are no real appeals for the foul from Villa players.

Frustratingly, PGMOL and VAR could be percieved as making it up as they go along at the moment, last week the guidance was "Don't get involved unless the referee has made a howler", this week it appears to be "get involved in the minutae of decisions"

Pawson basically gave Villa a "get out of jail free card" last night on their journey to securing CL football. At this point, it seems hard to dispute that referees are favouring the top 6 teams.

Just to add to that point further, the stats, at least from a VAR point if view don't back you up:

Interesting that NFFC are 7th in the 'VAR most in favour', despite their recent behaviour

Ps- @The Ginger Ref you must have pressed submit at exact same time as me!

I'm assuming the offence is careless push. I feel like this act should be an offence but I can't help but watch the incident and think 'that's quite a careful push'. I'm not sure how the push can be described as careless. Deliberate? Yes. But careless? No.

I'm assuming the offence is careless push. I feel like this act should be an offence but I can't help but watch the incident and think 'that's quite a careful push'. I'm not sure how the push can be described as careless. Deliberate? Yes. But careless? No.
Whilst not a great yardstick, Match of the Day summarised it pretty well. They also summarised VAR pretty well last night in all fairness, the guidance is changing on a weekly basis making it almost impossible for officials to be consistent.

The defender knew what he was doing and was backing in to the Chelsea player in an attempt to shield the ball, the Chelsea player fairly/unfairly pushed back (with more force/strength) to gain possession.

Those who claim it is 100% a foul, I pose the question, why does it not get given when a team is running down the clock with the ball in the corner? In almost all circumstances the attacking player is often pushed off the pitch in an almost identical fashion to what the Chelsea player did yesterday and is never penalised.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was no on-field appeal by anyone was there? Not even the pushed player?

Anyway, I was in the pub. Chelsea fans celebrating. As soon as it hit the net, I thought, 'There was a bit of a push there. When will you morons learn? It's not a goal yet'

It looked somewhat trivial in real time. It looked like foul play when slowed down etc etc....
Ah who cares?

I actually don't see the debate in this to be honest, it's a clear foul in my view. Defender got pushed which gives the attacker advantage of controlling the ball, it was pretty clear and one where Pawson probably should of seen in real time but the right decision was made.

Also we got to stop obsessing over consistency, VAR will never ever be consistent on subjective decisions, this thread proves that where some think it's soft and some think it's a foul.

Other thing to point out is that Pawson had a perfect view from the perfect distance

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was no on-field appeal by anyone was there? Not even the pushed player?

Anyway, I was in the pub. Chelsea fans celebrating. As soon as it hit the net, I thought, 'There was a bit of a push there. When will you morons learn? It's not a goal yet'

It looked somewhat trivial in real time. It looked like foul play when slowed down etc etc....
Ah who cares?
There were a couple of other defenders that raised their arms to say it was a push. That's what I dislike about VAR, though. I miss the days when you can celebrate your team scoring without any fear of it being overturned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back