A&H

At what age level do you start calling foul throws?

The FA Guidance on this has a couple of attempts for u8 and u9 and then an underarm throw. IIRC u10 and u11 non-competitive gives 2 attempts by the same player and then goes to the oppo. All about educating the players.

From then, u11 competitive games and all u12 and above are only one attempt as per LOTG. However, round my way, a lot of young refs don't give foul throws at all and as they never attend local RA meetings or get assessed, I end up suggesting they start giving foul throws. Hopefully a crackdown on this by the CFA and RA will help remove this problem.
But it's not "a problem" is it really?

The Referee Store
You lot go and play your own premiership game then. If you can't see the problem, you are the problem.

You lot go and play your own premiership game then. If you can't see the problem, you are the problem.

I'm guessing there's a story behind this outburst? Did you get paired up with a referee ignoring the Laws recently or something?

1. An ugly throw-in is not necessarily a foul throw-in.
2. At what age do you start blowing for them? U8? U11? U15? U18? OA? For me, its U11 when the full LotG come in to effect (taking in to account my point 1 though). Why disadvantage the team that spends time coaching its players on how to take throw-ins by allowing their opposition to get away with them? Why disadvantage a defending team because you ignore the foul throw that allows the team to break? In my experience, the best way to educate a player is to blow for the foul throw, turn it over, and explain why whilst you're doing it - rather than simply ignoring the offence (and if you've blown for the foul throw, there is no have a second go from youth upwards). And those coaches / parents that will scream at you for ruining the game, being over officious, "they're only kids" are the exact same coaches / parents that will scream at you even louder if you ignore a foul throw by the opposition.

Don't sweat the small stuff, sure, but ignore it too often and you can guarantee it triggering a KMI.

Here is another take on it, not so much at u11, cos they cant chuck it as far but..
When am refereeing Hans Solo, on reflection, am not even watching the throw.

Bit like offside, cant really watch the kicker and the striker, throws, am looking at drop zone and am prob 10/12 yards up park from the thrower, so not likely to see shoelace over the line and so on

Here is another take on it, not so much at u11, cos they cant chuck it as far but..
When am refereeing Hans Solo, on reflection, am not even watching the throw.

Bit like offside, cant really watch the kicker and the striker, throws, am looking at drop zone and am prob 10/12 yards up park from the thrower, so not likely to see shoelace over the line and so on
Agreed. We focus on frying big fish and might let a few tiddlers through the net. I think that's the point we've been intimating to @Viking
I pick up on obvious foul throws, but i don't want to focus on the little things in life or be pedantic about such things

Have you ever thought that you might be part of the reason why so many referees get abused? I suggest you follow the LOTG. That is your role in the beautiful game.
If you genuinely follow every single LOTG to the letter then fair enough, that it is your choice. As you've seen from the responses on here (from a broad cross section of referees) that is a relatively unique stance. Personally, I would be extremely surprised if that is, in fact, your reality. Would you in all honesty assert that you religiously enforce ..

1) The six second rule for GKs
2) Penalty encroachment
3) GK exactly on his line when the penalty is taken
4) Every throw in taken from the exact point the ball left the FOP
5) Every player who in any way delays a restart by eg picking up the ball and then, after a slight delay, throwing it back to the offended team

etc etc ??

Life and football would be so much simpler if things were clear cut. Unfortunately they are not .... :)

Back