A&H

Aston Villa vs Arsenal penalty shout

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I'm an Arsenal fan and I'm usually in the position of having to explain patiently to me fellow supporters why the referee has in fact got the decision correct despite what they might think the 'rules' say.

But on this occasion I think they have a point.

Any idea why this wasn't given?

The Referee Store
There's definitely an element of truth in what Walton says, there's a pull for sure but lacazette makes the most of it.

It's a foul for me mind. But does that make it a clear and obvious error? I've no clue anymore!

There's definitely an element of truth in what Walton says, there's a pull for sure but lacazette makes the most of it.

It's a foul for me mind. But does that make it a clear and obvious error? I've no clue anymore!

Agree, I don't really think anyone knows what VAR should be getting involved with, and I include the officials and Walton in that. He said something like VAR isn't there to make the correct decision, it is there to correct clear and obvious errors. What constitutes a clear and obvious error appears to be so unclear no one knows what to do anymore.

VAR is also there to spot incidents that the referee hasn't properly seen. I'm guessing the referee is in his usual rooted to the spot position and this would just look like a coming together. The assistant is very unlikely to get involved.
The bar for VAR to get involved at set-plays seems to be far higher than during play.

Martinez drags him over his knee, Lacazette has nowhere to go so will be pulled to the floor...

View on the missed DOGSO?
Should have been a straight red. Meets all the criteria to bed a red.

The only clip is this one, which doesn't go back far enough to tell. But my first thought on this was that the attacker was OS and interfered wiht the GK by limiting his movement. (That sorta hidden comment in the paragraphs below the primary definitions.) Kinda need to see the couple of seconds before this starts to evaluate that.

That's an obvious penalty. And at least a YC for the GK. VAR not acting on that is another class A example of how rubbish it is. Absolutely laughable.
Totally agree......the inconsistencies with VAR are so untrue......three games today alone have everyone shaking their heads with missed decisions, wrong decision, over ruling somethings but not others, LOTG being interpreted differently week to week .

The only clip is this one, which doesn't go back far enough to tell. But my first thought on this was that the attacker was OS and interfered wiht the GK by limiting his movement. (That sorta hidden comment in the paragraphs below the primary definitions.) Kinda need to see the couple of seconds before this starts to evaluate that.
Pretty sure this was from a corner

I think it has to be a C&O error because CK gave it as a foul against Lacazette when the foul should’ve been given towards him which would surely be C&O

Agree, I don't really think anyone knows what VAR should be getting involved with, and I include the officials and Walton in that. He said something like VAR isn't there to make the correct decision, it is there to correct clear and obvious errors. What constitutes a clear and obvious error appears to be so unclear no one knows what to do anymore.
Walton's playing with words. If it was a foul, the correct decision is a penalty and by not giving it the referee has made a clear and obvious error. Unless of course he didn't see it, then that raises the nonsense that as he hadn't seen the foul, not giving the foul wasn't a mistake.

Back