A&H

Aston Villa - Middlesbrough

So what colour should the card have been then?
It doesn't make an automatic difference in terms of deciding what colour the card should be, it only makes a difference in the criteria to be applied in making that decision. For DOGSO you have the regular four criteria to consider. For denial of a goal you only have to decide if the ball was going into the net or not.
The moment he blew for the offence, dismissal had to follow.
I would have to disagree. The moment he blew for the offence, he had to decide if a goal was denied or not. Only if he decided that it was, did he have to send the player off. If he decided that the ball was not on its way into the net and so a goal had not been denied then he shouldn't send the player off. I'll admit that as a life-long Boro fan, I was expecting and hoping for a red card but in retrospect I can see how a yellow could be a legitimate choice even though I disagreed with it at the time.

The Referee Store
They are talking about "game management" at the top level - but MD has not. Game management in this situation is dismiss - everybody expected.

The moment he blew for the offence, dismissal had to follow.

Unless, and he would have had the best angle that I've yet to see a TV replay from, he was sure or even confident the shot was going wide.

Unless, and he would have had the best angle that I've yet to see a TV replay from, he was sure or even confident the shot was going wide.
Surely that’s the wrong way round. If he was sure the ball was going in he has to dismiss. If he had any doubt then he cannot be certain the player denied a goal so should not send him off.

Surely that’s the wrong way round. If he was sure the ball was going in he has to dismiss. If he had any doubt then he cannot be certain the player denied a goal so should not send him off.

That's exactly what I said isn't it? If there was any doubt it wasn't going in yellow was the correct option.

That's exactly what I said isn't it? If there was any doubt it wasn't going in yellow was the correct option.
That’s not how I read it. It came across as he should send off “Unless he was sure the shot was going wide”, but you’re right, if there’s any doubt it’s a yellow.

That’s not how I read it. It came across as he should send off “Unless he was sure the shot was going wide”, but you’re right, if there’s any doubt it’s a yellow.

The person I quoted said that the expected decision was red. I agreed, but meant that I wouldn't agree if Mike Dean had an angle that showed the shot was going wide or likely to go wide.

Back