A&H

ARSENAL VS CHELSEA

The Referee Store
In its own, not a booking. I’ve not been paying enough attention but could it be for persistent fouling?

Arsenal player cheating to get Kovacic the 2nd YC, so difficult for AT
He deserved to be off for accumulated potential YC's

Last edited:
As for the pundit discussion at HT re: the PK
Oh dear... we have no chance refereeing players who are spoon fed such ignorance of the Laws by expert commentators

As for the pundit discussion at HT re: the PK
Oh dear... we have no chance refereeing players who are spoon fed such ignorance of the Laws by expert commentators
I’ve always argued that pundits/commentators should have to do LOTG test. These people give their opinions to millions of people around the world without actually knowing what they are talking about. I actually think it makes our job at grassroots level harder as they take these opinions as fact and try and argue the same on a Sunday morning

I can't really understand what has happened there. He flashed a very quick yellow card with no red, and it subsequently transpired that was for Ceballos, I think for calling for a caution. It then takes an age to show Kovacic his yellow and subsequent red, and the timing of all this seemed very odd. I can only assume someone had a word over comms to say that Kovacic should be cautioned for the challenge.

However it happened though it was a really poor decision.

Just for a change, the MO's will get the blame for a poor dismissal decision, yet it was Xhaka who was complicit with the usual cheating. I wanted Arsenal to win, but the game will always be broken until they fix the cheating (which they won't because it's part of the show)

I thought Taylor was excellent in the first half. Great spot on the foul just outside of the area, good caution for Mount’s persistence, and the penalty call/SPA caution/no DOGSO was a great call.

The second half wasn’t so great. This is why I personally think Oliver is a better referee than Taylor is. At their bests, I think Taylor is a little better. However, I think Oliver is more consistent and does a better job managing heated/difficult situations. The margins are pretty close, but I just think Oliver is ahead by a slight margin because he doesn’t have as many rough patches.

Arsenal player cheating to get Kovacic the 2nd YC, so difficult for AT
He deserved to be off for accumulated potential YC's
First YC could have been red.

I can't really understand what has happened there. He flashed a very quick yellow card with no red, and it subsequently transpired that was for Ceballos, I think for calling for a caution. It then takes an age to show Kovacic his yellow and subsequent red, and the timing of all this seemed very odd. I can only assume someone had a word over comms to say that Kovacic should be cautioned for the challenge.
Fanzone: not as odd as his writing a name on a yellow card then changing it to a red.

Last edited:
Why was the penalty incident not a red card? This was not an attempt to play the ball - it was a holding offence.

I've seen t he stills on the TV and that defender was nowhere near closes enough - in my opinion. At first contact definitely but at the end i still think defender was too far way. What made it tricky is the defender carries on running when the whistle is blown and it's looks better for the defending team.

I believe it wasn’t deemed DOGSO due to a covering defender
I don't buy this. If they had said the attacker didn't have the ball under control, then I could accept it.

On the double jeopardy point about penalty and dismissal, we already have the option to downgrade a red to a yellow and a yellow to a warning, depending on the outcome, how about a law change whereby the offender is dismissed if the goal is not scored from the penalty?

I don't buy this. If they had said the attacker didn't have the ball under control, then I could accept it.

On the double jeopardy point about penalty and dismissal, we already have the option to downgrade a red to a yellow and a yellow to a warning, depending on the outcome, how about a law change whereby the offender is dismissed if the goal is not scored from the penalty?
Really? Early DOGSO and you give the offended against team the option of scoring a goal or missing it so they can play most of the match against ten opponents?

If AT had gone with DOGSO, it couldn't be downgraded to yellow as it was a pulling offence. I think Rodriguez was close enough to go with SPA (no downgrade, so YC for pulling). I would go with the lesser charge if I wasn't sure, so I thought it (SPA) was the correct call

Back