A&H

Arsenal Vs Brighton

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
We all know the Premier League's invisible "high bar" is somewhat hazy, but sometimes referees do themselves no favours whatsoever where entertainment and keeping cards in pockets appears to come before player safety.

2 early challenges, Martinelli on Mitoma and then Caicedo on Martinelli from behind which had an air of retribution about it, both solely aimed to wipeout the opponent and zero intent to win and ball, neither deemed worthy of a card. Martinelli on Mitoma particularly wasn't at all clever, running from distance and just jumping to bodycheck his opponent! :eek:

The Referee Store
I think he backed himself into a bit of a corner by not giving yellow for the first one. So at least you can say he was consistent.

But I do agree, the simple expected outcome of those challenges was a yellow for each

2 early challenges, Martinelli on Mitoma and then Caicedo on Martinelli from behind which had an air of retribution about it,
More than an air of retribution, given that after wiping Martinelli out, Caicedo walked back and exchanged a "low five" hand slap with Mitoma, which I would say was meant to convey the message that he was paying Martinelli back for the challenge on Mitoma.

Screenshot_2023_0515_105956.png

Anyone else think there was a foul on Gabriel right before Brighton's first goal? It looks like somebody treads on his heel and his shoe comes off.

Anyone else think there was a foul on Gabriel right before Brighton's first goal? It looks like somebody treads on his heel and his shoe comes off.
I think it's Kiwior that has his boot come off.

I've watched the clip numerous times and struggled to see what actually happened. I think Ferguson maybe treads on his heel, but with the guidance for VAR to only get involved on C&O; I don't think this would tick the box imo. Maybe pre Webb they would have........

But referee could have certainly justified giving a foul if he saw it

I think it's Kiwior that has his boot come off.

I've watched the clip numerous times and struggled to see what actually happened. I think Ferguson maybe treads on his heel, but with the guidance for VAR to only get involved on C&O; I don't think this would tick the box imo. Maybe pre Webb they would have........

But referee could have certainly justified giving a foul if he saw it

They showed another angle (only 2 angles were available) where Ferguson raked his foot down Kiwior's Achilles (Ferguson was not looking at Kiwior at all however).
You can clearly see from the replay his boot comes off, surprised VAR didn't look into it as a football boot doesn't just come off by itself.

Back