A&H

Arsenal v Aston Villa

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Anyone watching?
Thoughts on the first half?

Penalty can understand if not given but I do feel as Targett kicks the ball Lacazette literally throws his foot there to see what happens rather than an attempt to control the ball. Very harsh, but understandable either if given or not.
3 cautions for Aston Villa. Missed the Watkins one as missed first 4 minutes of the game. Mings and McGinn deserved, as was the Arsenal full backs for his shirt pull.
But why only a chat to the Arsenal player who deliberately blocked the keeper from clearing the ball?

The Referee Store
But why only a chat to the Arsenal player who deliberately blocked the keeper from clearing the ball?
Havent seen it but this isn't usually a mandatory caution offence.
What about it makes you think it should be more?

I wondered the same. It wasn't a subtle one either, ran across and jumped across the keeper releasing the ball.

Given he'd already dished 3 yellows out I was expecting another for that.

The Watkins caution in the first couple of minutes I can see why he showed a yellow. But I also thought it came following obstruction by the Arsenal player stepping across and making no attempt to play the ball.

I'm aware it's not mandatory but the keeper was releasing the ball quickly to start a promising attack as most Arsenal players were up (think it was a corner or free kick) and Aubamerang (hope spelt it right, doubt it) literally ran across to block this quick release.

I'm aware it's not mandatory but the keeper was releasing the ball quickly to start a promising attack as most Arsenal players were up (think it was a corner or free kick) and Aubamerang (hope spelt it right, doubt it) literally ran across to block this quick release.

not watching but interested, as last week i posted, has anyone cautioned for spa when gk preveted from releasing.

not watching but interested, as last week i posted, has anyone cautioned for spa when gk preveted from releasing.
I have, once.
Which is why I thought this one should have been for the same reason I did.
Player ran and blocked keepers kick when if was released uncontested would have led to a 3 man attack on 2 defenders and a keeper much further back.
Instead free kick awarded and everyone back.

If you decide this qualifies as a promising attack then you're going have at least five cautions a game for SPA.

If you decide this qualifies as a promising attack then you're going have at least five cautions a game for SPA.
Don't know about you, but it actually isn't that common in games that players physically block it rather than attempt to block.
He literally blocked the kick to a point he changed the direction of the ball so that it went out of play instead of up the field.
I get players try to put them off, but he literally blocked the ball where the ref actually stopped play and gave a free kick.

Don't know about you, but it actually isn't that common in games that players physically block it rather than attempt to block.
He literally blocked the kick to a point he changed the direction of the ball so that it went out of play instead of up the field.
I get players try to put them off, but he literally blocked the ball where the ref actually stopped play and gave a free kick.

Direct free kick I might add as well

My point was you've set such a low bar for what constitutes a promising attack that numerous routine fouls in open play would be candidates for SPA.

My point was you've set such a low bar for what constitutes a promising attack that numerous routine fouls in open play would be candidates for SPA.
Not really.
As I said, on the one occasion I have done it, it was going to lead to, in my opinion, a very strong attack with most now defending players in the keepers area. His ball, if wasnt interfered with, was heading to an unmarked winger with 2 team mates already with him and just 2 defenders to battle before the keeper.
For me, the attacker knew exactly what he was doing and done it deliberately to avoid the likely outcome. That, again for me, is the definition of SPA. When a player stops a promising attack. Which this was going to be in my game.
And what I thought it was going to be in tonight's match too - and I think it was still 0-0 at this point.

Villa keeper realised there was a break away on, I think Aubameyang realised the same and blocked it. I certainly was expecting a caution.

I'm surprised there isn't more reaction to the penalty. I'm an arsenal fan. I thought it was a penalty in real time but the replays added enough doubt that I would have been perfectly happy sticking with the on-field decision.

It would have to be very obvious one for an offence to be a spa when the ball is still in own PA (haven't seen the incident. What minute?).

Blocking keeper from releasing along with blatant handball are two common myths for being cautions. I can understand why. They just feel like they should be cautions because the are committed with intent. But they are not (not necessarily) as ifab doesn't want them to be.

For blatant handball caution, because they were being give incorrectly too frequently, IFAB had to spell it out that only very specific handball can be caution and blatant handball wasn't one of them.

For preventing Keeper release not being caution, I don't see ifab specifically spelling it out because they are not frequent enough.

When a player stops a promising attack. Which this was going to be...
Aha. It is a caution if an offence stops a promising attack. This means the promising attack must exist. It is not a caution if an offence stop an attack which may or may not become promising. "Was going to be" means it was not yet. I am ok if your opinion is the promising attack existed before the offence. But if you think it would have been created after the release, then that's just caution based on speculation.

• Haha
Reactions: ARF
I'm surprised there isn't more reaction to the penalty. I'm an arsenal fan. I thought it was a penalty in real time but the replays added enough doubt that I would have been perfectly happy sticking with the on-field decision.
I'm with you on this one. IMO not enough for the VAR to intervene, lacazette is not in control of the Ball and the defender gets enough on it for me.

Clear penalty for me - attacker gets there first, defender has already committed and kicks the attacker before playing the ball.

Given the team, what makes you think it would have been promising? ;)

This type of play is such an easy caution to give. The attacker knows what he’s doing. Caution him and you won’t have people pulling the same stunts the rest of the game.

Back