A&H

Arse Brentford

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
The Brentford VAR checked for offside.

Goal given.

The check was for offside from the free kick. For me it should have been given. The Brentford player is offside and blocks the defender which prevents him from being able to play the ball. (Was actually smart - overload 3v2 back stick and two attackers just focused on blocking the two defenders.)

But VAR didn’t seem to check the next touches - at the header that led to the assist it looked offside. The replay made it look offside.

Did VAR miss this!? If this stays a draw Arteta will let you know later;)

The Referee Store
Offside for the block as it's stops Gabriel closing down the attacker. As you've mentioned, the goal itself looks very offside, haven't seen any lines yet though, camera angles can be deceptive.

I would Love to know the score the ref gets for this match. His officiating was fine, but the time wasting from Brentford was worse than Newcastle. Not one yellow card for time wasting which started in the first minute. Brentford players dropping down for 'injuries' the whole second half. 5 mins added on. There wasn't anywhere near 5 mins of football from 80-90min.

We took a dig at the minutes added on in the world cup, but time wasting to the level today needs to be cut out. How? Add it on properly at the end of the half.

The VAR, Lee Mason forgot to draw the lines for the offside.
Seen that. Not sure how you can forget to do your one job when you are called to do it. The second offside looks offside to the eye, so he thought, na no need to draw lines? Another VAR decision he has got massively wrong.

Punishment? Probably 1 week off and back to making mistakes.

Strange how VAR has weekends when it is full of errors, maybe there is something in the water.

Get 3 VAR officials in the room and they need to come to a majority decision for it to go ahead.

Of the two "offsides"..
The first is one that you'd not complain about if given or not, especially after the Rashford incident a few weeks back.
He does hold Gabriel off, but would Gabriel have got the ball otherwise? Doubtful. But would he have done more to defend? Probably. Can understand why it wasn't given as offside on this incident.
The 2nd offside, the actual cross for the goal, he was clear offside. Was it actually looked at? I don't think so and this is a huge error.
Someone said to me about the disallowed goal and it not being a foul, earlier in the match. Not seen a full image of it (MOTD showed something but was very quick). A mistake made then?

Read on twitter that Arsenal fans saying Toney kept fouling Saliba and that the FK leading to equaliser shouldn't have been a foul either. Yet I've also read comments that Toney was being fouled himself and got nothing.
It's amazing what fans see and don't see.

As a point of order- there was no disallowed goal. The ref blew the whistle and everyone froze other than Mbeumo. I agree it didn't look like much of a foul though.

As a point of order- there was no disallowed goal. The ref blew the whistle and everyone froze other than Mbeumo. I agree it didn't look like much of a foul though.
Correct. All players stopped so it's quite different. Offside goal, everyone is playing to the whistle.
Ref would have probably seen the shirt pull and given that. Very soft though.

Unfortunately, these types of mistakes will keep happening because VARs are human and humans make mistakes. IFAB has devised a video review system where the human checks everything. Asking a human to check everything will result in them missing something.

It's about time the VAR stops checking everything and only checks things which the teams want them to check. Give each team two reviews each; if an incident is missed, it's the team's fault not the VAR's fault. Works quite well in other sports.

Last edited:
Exactly, the process is absolutely appalling. Always has been, always will be. Insane those at the top can't see it

Unfortunately, these types of mistakes will keep happening because VARs are human and humans make mistakes. IFAB has devised a video review system where the human checks everything. Asking a human to check everything will result in them missing something.

It's about time the VAR stops checking everything and only checks things which the teams want them to check. Give each team two reviews each; if an incident is missed, it's the team's fault not the VAR's fault. Works quite well in other sports.
Having said that, VAR had one incident to review yesterday and they forgot to do the actual review....

They are sitting down at a computer with no pressure of players/managers arguing with them. No crowd influence. No physical exhaustion from running around. I can't imagine looking at an event being that taxing on a professional.

Is the world cup offsides coming into play next season? They seemed to work well? Then VAR would have less to do?

When a human is relied on to make decisions human errors will occur. It happened in the rugby union game between Scotland and Wales yesterday when they awarded a try despite the replay from one angle clearing showing the scorer had a foot touching the ground outside the touchline. That said, there shouldn't be so many human errors on the same day, and Howard Webb is going to have some difficult discussions in the coming week.

The semi-automated VAR system wouldn't have helped on this one. It automatically works out if the player is in an offside position, but it still needs a human to decide if there is a potential offside offence that needs checking.

It certainly seems to be the the same names being associated with the biggest errors on review. I can honestly see Lee Mason getting a P45 soon, as the new man at the helm starts to tighten things up.

Back