A&H

ARG v CRO

The Referee Store
I was at work so I didn't hear the drivel from the pundits. Can someone please explain to me the reasoning behind the pundits' objection to the penalty kick? Personally, I'm struggling to come up with any reason for it not being a penalty kick.

I was at work so I didn't hear the drivel from the pundits. Can someone please explain to me the reasoning behind the pundits' objection to the penalty kick? Personally, I'm struggling to come up with any reason for it not being a penalty kick.
It's been along the lines of "what was the keeper supposed to do?"

No issues with the penalty, great advantage for the second goal, all-in-all a really strong performance.

I'm seeing a lot of complaints online that Arg should have had some more yellow cards for SPA before the PK. I don't recall any egregious misses but does anyone agree/disagree?

Thoughts on the first half penalty? ITV not happy with it at HT but I'm in agreement with the ref (and in agreement with Peter Walton for once)
Only half of ITV!

Lee Dixon said it was "100% a pen" and Ally McCoist said it was "1 million per cent a pen"

Pen all day for me and I'd even support a red. Initial attempt was for the ball but once he saw that wasn't possible he just body checked attacker, THAT specific action wasn't an attempt for the ball.

I'm seeing a lot of complaints online that Arg should have had some more yellow cards for SPA before the PK. I don't recall any egregious misses but does anyone agree/disagree?
There was one, very early on (5 mins maybe) that was definitely reckless, ref played on and didn't come back to it. Yellow certainly justified.

There were several other advantages played from (imo) Spa fouls so no cautio was correct

I thought the GK opened up to try to block and was in the air, then the attacker ran into him. I understand why it didn’t look like thr classic “GK brings down attacker”… but by the same token it was careless, DOGSO, attempt to play the ball, easy penalty, football expects a penalty.

I think 100k of those still appalled at the QF antics…anyone else wondering why Martinez was playing after accusing the QF of cheating?

There was one, very early on (5 mins maybe) that was definitely reckless, ref played on and didn't come back to it. Yellow certainly justified.

There were several other advantages played from (imo) Spa fouls so no cautio was correct
Yeah, that first one was very late (the one where he stamped on his foot at pace ?). I was shocked he didn't go back and book him for that !

I thought the GK opened up to try to block and was in the air, then the attacker ran into him. I understand why it didn’t look like thr classic “GK brings down attacker”… but by the same token it was careless, DOGSO, attempt to play the ball, easy penalty, football expects a penalty.

I think 100k of those still appalled at the QF antics…anyone else wondering why Martinez was playing after accusing the QF of cheating?
When reffing, I tend to put my myself in the eyes of the attacking player. In this instance, i've nudged it past the keeper and i'm about to fire it home. But, I get body checked by the keeper and can't continue forwards. I'd want a pen for that !

When reffing, I tend to put my myself in the eyes of the attacking player. In this instance, i've nudged it past the keeper and i'm about to fire it home. But, I get body checked by the keeper and can't continue forwards. I'd want a pen for that !
Purely as devil's advocate (I have not seen the incident) should you not also put yourself in the head of the goalkeeper. . .(?)

Purely as devil's advocate (I have not seen the incident) should you not also put yourself in the head of the goalkeeper. . .(?)
Without doubt. But that would be secondary. He's not in possession. When the balls in play i'm with the team in possession. Have we been fouled ? Could there be an advantage ? etc.

Back