A&H

Open Age Are turf boots allowed?

Dylanevans50

Level 4 Referee
Hey everyone I’m going to be refereeing my first game within the next two weeks. What’s your opinion on turf boots? Are they suitable and most importantly are they allowed?

The image I’ve attached shows a pair that are quite similar to mine. Wondering whether they’ll be suitable or should I invest in a different boot. Thanks

Attachments

• FF9197BC-4206-4C54-BF81-FAA98281841F.jpeg
    FF9197BC-4206-4C54-BF81-FAA98281841F.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 30
The Referee Store
Look fine to me for the current conditions. I’ve been using my trail running shoes for my outdoor sessions on pitches at the moment as they’re so hard.

You’ll need to sort a pair of studded boots for into the season as the pitches soften up though.

Hey everyone I’m going to be refereeing my first game within the next two weeks. What’s your opinion on turf boots? Are they suitable and most importantly are they allowed?

The image I’ve attached shows a pair that are quite similar to mine. Wondering whether they’ll be suitable or should I invest in a different boot. Thanks
Not permitted on many/most artificial surfaces. Virtually every facility down South has strict rules mandating firm ground studded boots

I have used normal trainers this week! ‘Grass’ ground is rock solid and think my calf muscles will explode if I put them through wearing boots!!

Not permitted on many/most artificial surfaces. Virtually every facility down South has strict rules mandating firm ground studded boots
I haven't seen any that don't allow astroturf boots. It is flat bottomed trainers they don't like or allow.

I haven't seen any that don't allow astroturf boots. It is flat bottomed trainers they don't like or allow.
If I recall Dorchester FC have a strict footwear policy of plastic moulded boots only on their pitch with Astros specifically outlawed.

Confirmed, checked back on matc confirmation. No blades, dimpled or flat bottom shoes

If I recall Dorchester FC have a strict footwear policy of plastic moulded boots only on their pitch with Astros specifically outlawed.

Confirmed, checked back on matc confirmation. No blades, dimpled or flat bottom shoes
Confirmed! As an Observer pre-Covid the officials and I were pitchside for the pre-match briefing and were told to move off the "green bit" 😁

Sounds me like I’ve hitch “another” bump to getting a n the pitch - how many/different kind of boots do we need in our kitbag/cupboard?

Sounds me like I’ve hitch “another” bump to getting a n the pitch - how many/different kind of boots do we need in our kitbag/cupboard?
One. Moulded studs/blades are plenty fine on all surfaces.
Some refs have a pair of metal studs for soft ground and mould for hard but I find moulds do all surfaces I referee on with zero problems.

One. Moulded studs/blades are plenty fine on all surfaces.
Some refs have a pair of metal studs for soft ground and mould for hard but I find moulds do all surfaces I referee on with zero problems.
Yeah, in the old days it was common to play on absolute mud baths where you really needed studs. These days a combination of the pitches being better, and games more likely to be called off, means that mouldies will be fine for almost every surface.

Yeah, in the old days it was common to play on absolute mud baths where you really needed studs. These days a combination of the pitches being better, and games more likely to be called off, means that mouldies will be fine for almost every surface.
So including astroturf?
I know it sounds minty but I’ve been off the program for a while - cheers

Depends what you mean by AstroTurf as it's definitely not the same as modern 3G

Grass - any type of footware ranging from studs and blades to flat soled trainers or AstroTurf boots may be suitable depending on ground quality

3G/4G rubber crumb - suitable for moulded studs. As stated above many facilities don't even let you wear any sort of flat soled boot/shoe.

AstroTurf (imagine sand or water based hockey turf) - suitable only for flat soled trainers or AstroTurf boots. Tbh I've never reffed a game on this surface but I know pitches exist and have played football on them.

AstroTurf (imagine sand or water based hockey turf) - suitable only for flat soled trainers or AstroTurf boots. Tbh I've never reffed a game on this surface but I know pitches exist and have played football on them.
They shouldn't exist anymore since the FA brought in artificial pitch grading requirements. Or they certainly shouldn't still be used for sanctioned games.

They shouldn't exist anymore since the FA brought in artificial pitch grading requirements. Or they certainly shouldn't still be used for sanctioned games.
Yeah I can't imagine anywhere up here where teams play on one. But there's plenty about.

It was mainly to avoid confusion with astro and 3g

The only place you may see it is on the touchlines at some higher level grounds and it’s dreadful even there!

The only place you may see it is on the touchlines at some higher level grounds and it’s dreadful even there!

oh actually...

there's a strip of naff astroturf down the touchline at farsley celtic up here, absolutely awful to run on as it's so narrow you can never stay on there!

Back