A&H

AR walks off during game

I did have one game as an AR where I considered storming off.

I'd made a slight mistake by going for a quick flag for a ball that went out in front of the benches and happened to cross with the ref - he eventually overruled and gave a defensive throw. I don't think my decision was wrong, but I should have been smarter and let him lead in front of the benches. I followed that up very shortly after with a correct (IMO), but very tight "no offside" call that led to a good chance. When the defence complained to the ref about these two decisions I'd made, I'm fairly sure his response was "Don't blame me, what can I do if he's ****?"

In the end, because I wasn't 100% sure I'd heard correctly I just stayed quiet and fumed about it, but the thought of chucking my flag down and going home definitely popped into my head!

The Referee Store
I never considered storming off, but one L3 referee threw me under the bus on a contrib game. His throw-in instructions were standard three thirds stuff, I gave a defensive throw right under my nose where the ball had deflected off an attacking player, albeit it slight. He overruled me, which I wasn't really bothered about, but then when everyone complained he absolved all responsibility and let me take the rubbish. We had words at half time and he knew exactly how annoyed I was with him.

I never considered storming off, but one L3 referee threw me under the bus on a contrib game. His throw-in instructions were standard three thirds stuff, I gave a defensive throw right under my nose where the ball had deflected off an attacking player, albeit it slight. He overruled me, which I wasn't really bothered about, but then when everyone complained he absolved all responsibility and let me take the rubbish. We had words at half time and he knew exactly how annoyed I was with him.

Understandable on your part. Standard instructions are usually 'If we disagree, go with me and I'll take the flak'

I think we need to accept that some people are not cut out for this gig. People who respond emotionally to highly charged situations are those sorts of people. They can be used at low levels to fill in where needed; but they are not the kinds of people who should be given opportunities for promotion.

Back