A&H

AR walks off during game

The Referee Store
No, you'd carry on with just one assistant unless competition rules say you must have two. Even at steps 3 and 4 the game carries on with one assistant if necessary.

Reactions: JH
Last edited:
Seems very strange

Some people do get fairly emotional if a fellow official doesn't back them publicly, especially if it was a particularly volatile incident, and I really hope it wasn't over something like OFFINABUS or whatever.

We don't know the full story obviously, so I won't speculate any further.

To keep with the topic though; I've never had such an incident when working in a team of three. I have been in situations where I've had to bite my tongue, very firmly, perhaps even bite it off completely, but not quite walk-off the field levels of bad.

I've had it at step 3 where you call yer mate over from the middle and say "number X, red card, reason" and then they go and just bollock and yellow them. Hope they all work it out soon enough when the adrenaline has died down and no one gets hauled over hot coals for it.

I'd imagine this is similar.

I think the flag was handed over.

Here is the thing, AR should never dictate what the ref should do. He can say I would do such and such but then it should be up to the referee to do it or not. AR should state facts and for subjective decisions, their opinion of it. For example no 8 said blah blah and no 11 looked offended. Or I feel insulted when no 7 told me blah blah. If the AR thinks the referee did not take the correct action, talk it over with the referee after the game and if still not satisfied, escalate to whatever person or the organisation unit that is relevant. What happened in the OP is completely unacceptable from a professional conduct point of view. It looks bad for the AR, it looks bad for the CR and it looks bad for our profession, and for me the whole team is responsible/accountable for it.

It's the AR's last game innit. I feel for the fella cos I can imagine the **** coming his way right now. When you're done... you're done.

Sure it looks bad for us as a group and all that, but let's not be silly here... it's a game between two teams no one's heard of... and referees aren't the army with their regulations and discipline. If ya quit you're not being court marshalled and shot.

As one mentor said "don't break the team."

This is a very extreme case. But, even if you think your ref is a complete numpty, or you think your AR needs demoting, suck it up!

Good referees make calm analysis after the game, give constructive feedback and report to the appropriate authorities - we know this - but these skills don't necessarily come naturally and take effort.

In the vid it looks like the ref walks off and the AR goes back towards his post. Did I miss something?
That was my first thought. Second viewing and I think the ref is actually on the other side of the pitch near the half way line. The guy waking off has simpy left his flag behind and his fellow AR has come over to see what's gong on

That was my first thought. Second viewing and I think the ref is actually on the other side of the pitch near the half way line. The guy waking off has simpy left his flag behind and his fellow AR has come over to see what's gong on

In the second video you can see one of the team officials taking the piss and flagging for offside with the dropped flag. 😍

Some people do get fairly emotional if a fellow official doesn't back them publicly, especially if it was a particularly volatile incident, and I really hope it wasn't over something like OFFINABUS or whatever.

We don't know the full story obviously, so I won't speculate any further.

To keep with the topic though; I've never had such an incident when working in a team of three. I have been in situations where I've had to bite my tongue, very firmly, perhaps even bite it off completely, but not quite walk-off the field levels of bad.

Aside from a personal verbal attack could you EVER envisage a scenario where you WOULD walk/refuse to start/carry on?

Its football after all so not surprising that 3 people won't agree on all match incidents, but walk off? - can't ever envisage it getting that bad.

I've come across the phrase that an AR 'assists' rather than 'insists' so tbh there's very few scenarios that I would walk out on a ref as I don't think it helps anyone - especially in light of social media being able to bring a focus on such events.

If I genuinely felt hard done by I would probably fake an injury and drop out rather than storm off.

Back