A&H

AR Signals

The Referee Store
Don't really understand some of the replies as they talk about indicating a signal for a goal, yet the OP says the ball didn't cross the line.

For no goal the law talks about a discreet signal by the AR, and for that is a cutting action with the free hand. The most important thing here is that the assistant gets to the corner flag holds his ground, as when players look over at him he needs to be credible.

If a goal is scored the laws don't say what the actual flag signal should be. My view is it should be in the left hand, so as to clearly differentiate it from offside or goal kick. The law does give a goal scored signal for an AAR, and that does say to use the left hand.

Don't really understand some of the replies as they talk about indicating a signal for a goal, yet the OP says the ball didn't cross the line.
The OP specifically asked what signal to use if a goal is scored.

Goal scored, flag in left hand and moving away from goal line,
Just over line confusion one, IF needed flag up, buzz, shout etc, flag in left and run like clappers towards half way line, Mindful not to go too far up in case of protesting dug out waiting for you.

Like some above I got confused with the posts as they went on

This happened in my first AR game. I raised the flag in my right hand and sidestepped towards the halfway line. Not exactly textbook and I've not idea why I did it as I hadn't read the signal before the game, I was too wrapped up in where to stand for a goal kick etc. It looked credible enough and the ref thanked me at the end of the game for the clear indication so all's well that ends well

Goal scored, flag in left hand and moving away from goal line,
Just over line confusion one, IF needed flag up, buzz, shout etc, flag in left and run like clappers towards half way line, Mindful not to go too far up in case of protesting dug out waiting for you.

Like some above I got confused with the posts as they went on

Hmmm I’ve been taught straight up quick as poss in right hand for marginal goal... makes more sense to me... no changing hands and in the correct hand for a 20m goal dash.

The actual act of flag up to signal the goal and get contact with ref and then sprint towards halfway - is much more straightforward than this thread suggests.

In a marginal goal situation any ref with a brain is staring at the AR and it’s bleedin’ obvious from the AR’s actions if if’s a goal or not.

Hmmm I’ve been taught straight up quick as poss in right hand for marginal goal... makes more sense to me... no changing hands and in the correct hand for a 20m goal dash.

The actual act of flag up to signal the goal and get contact with ref and then sprint towards halfway - is much more straightforward than this thread suggests.

In a marginal goal situation any ref with a brain is staring at the AR and it’s bleedin’ obvious from the AR’s actions if if’s a goal or not.

Imagine in head, raising with right then sprinting away from goal line?
Needs good co-ordination if nothing else!

May be different in England. Here raise flag with right hand so that your view of the FOP is not impeded (it may take a second or two for it to be noticed). Make eye contact, referee stops play (which he would even if he thinks its offside or goal kick), then drop flag keep in right hand (so its visible to referee) and sprint toward the halfway. Its the sprint that indicates it's a goal. Referee signals accordingly. Once you start the sprint, even the players would know you are indicating a goal.

I got told in a session with a National League AR that you flag to signal a goal in your LEFT hand, so as it's clear that you are not signalling for offside or a goal kick.
I'm confused by this, simply because an offside or GK is followed by a flag pointing into the field of play... an in/out goal is followed by the flag being lowered and a run up the touchline.

Where does the possible confusion come in? This really sounds like someone's making a big effort to complicate things.

May be different in England. Here raise flag with right hand so that your view of the FOP is not impeded (it may take a second or two for it to be noticed). Make eye contact, referee stops play (which he would even if he thinks its offside or goal kick), then drop flag keep in right hand (so its visible to referee) and sprint toward the halfway. Its the sprint that indicates it's a goal. Referee signals accordingly. Once you start the sprint, even the players would know you are indicating a goal.
Yes this.
And @Ciley Myrus I don’t have to imagine. Maybe 6 times in @200 games. Not many. But some.

Interesting. I’ll check though. I’ve stopped standing in front of the corner flag. I’ll quite happily signal goal with the left if that’s what my chiefs want and it helps to go higher;)

Reactions: one
Yes this.
And @Ciley Myrus I don’t have to imagine. Maybe 6 times in @200 games. Not many. But some.

Interesting. I’ll check though. I’ve stopped standing in front of the corner flag. I’ll quite happily signal goal with the left if that’s what my chiefs want and it helps to go higher;)

As AR me personally, I would use left
But, here is the thing, as Ref or Observer, if its clear to all and sundry that the AR is awarding the goal, ( the raised flag but more important for me, the sprint away from goal line and hopefully shouting Goal Goal Goal) then am not going to go across and inspect which hand he is using, am going to be content he has carried out his duties in correctly spotted ball over line and conveyed to everybody that its a goal.
The awarding of the correct decision, for me, would over ride the technicalities of the communication.

@Ciley Myrus related:

You are AR on the goaline, no comms, unsighted ref, balls goes out for goal kick pr corner. What is the prescription movement at the top level?

Is it a FIFA thing to signal GK behind the corner flag, do you take s step or two left first to signal corner, what’s best practice, and is it the same for SPL/EPL/FIFA?

@Ciley Myrus related:

You are AR on the goaline, no comms, unsighted ref, balls goes out for goal kick pr corner. What is the prescription movement at the top level?

Is it a FIFA thing to signal GK behind the corner flag, do you take s step or two left first to signal corner, what’s best practice, and is it the same for SPL/EPL/FIFA?

Based on what I read there, I would say the important thing would firstly be a raised flag, to alert the referee attention to the ball being out of play, I would keep it raised until the unsighted referee notices it, and in SPL we would signal maybe a bit dramatically down at the corner flag if awarding a corner, yet take a step to left if awarding a goal kick, being careful of course not to "tilt" the flag in a free kick motion.
On this hopefully isolated occasion I would, regardless of comms, be shouting "corner" or at least "balls out" when ref notices raised flag, the latter shout being on the off chance ref would be awarding goal kick when he notices ball is out of play

Back