A&H

AR Signals

Referee117

"No. I think we're just getting started."
Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

I've started running the line on a few matches to get some experience from that side of things.

One scenario popped in my head during my last outing, where the attacking team's shot came down off the crossbar onto the goal line and then remained in play. The defending GK then picked it up so no goal. Looking through the AR signals, there isn't one mentioned for when the ball does go over the line which the middle man may not see. If I see it as an AR, do I signal to the middle man that it's a goal? If so, what signal would it be?

Thanks in advance

The Referee Store
There's no official signal. It's up to the referee what they want from you, just ask in the pre match

Hi all,

I've started running the line on a few matches to get some experience from that side of things.

One scenario popped in my head during my last outing, where the attacking team's shot came down off the crossbar onto the goal line and then remained in play. The defending GK then picked it up so no goal. Looking through the AR signals, there isn't one mentioned for when the ball does go over the line which the middle man may not see. If I see it as an AR, do I signal to the middle man that it's a goal? If so, what signal would it be?

Thanks in advance

Page 200 will help! As will 188

There's no official signal. It's up to the referee what they want from you, just ask in the pre match

Totally incorrect, the lotg are clear on this.
If we all followed the lotg instead if making up things from ref to ref, then questions raised from the op would be simple to answer.

Page 200 will help! As will 188

Just what I'm after! Thank you very much. I really do need to pay equal attention to that section of the LOTG as well as the main Law sections.

For reference in case anyone else has missed that section on page 200:

Goal – no goal

When it is clear that the ball has wholly passed over the goal line in the goal, the AR must make eye contact with the referee without giving any additional signal. When a goal has been scored but it is not clear whether the ball has passed over the line, the AR must first raise the flag to attract the referee’s attention and then confirm the goal.

Aside from that, with or without comms, nothing adverse in shouting "goal goal goal" as you perform your ball over line fangdango.

Totally incorrect, the lotg are clear on this.
If we all followed the lotg instead if making up things from ref to ref, then questions raised from the op would be simple to answer.

You say they are clear, but they're not are they?

"The AR must raise the flag" means absolutely nothing other than to get the referees attention

"And then confirm the goal" doesn't say how or state a specific signal to use

You say they are clear, but they're not are they?

"The AR must raise the flag" means absolutely nothing other than to get the referees attention

"And then confirm the goal" doesn't say how or state a specific signal to use

Your book must have pages missing

Which begs question on the larger scale, what on earth have you been doing/asking AR to do!!!

Your book must have pages missing

Which begs question on the larger scale, what on earth have you been doing/asking AR to do!!!

I do what's in the laws and I stand by my first post. There is no official flag signal to confirm a goal which is what was asked. That's why the pre match is important to confirm that the ref and AR know what each other will be doing

I do what's in the laws and I stand by my first post. There is no official flag signal to confirm a goal which is what was asked. That's why the pre match is important to confirm that the ref and AR know what each other will be doing

You have user "one" blocked then, as he has copied the page from the book which tells you what to do.

@Ciley Myrus I think you might be missing my point. The OP said they were looking through the AR signals, which there isn't a picture for a goal score hence why I said there isn't

No but its explained in the clearest black and white text and really needs no picture, if the OP or anybody cant work out from the text what to do, then surely, go to your next weekly training session and ask a senior person for a demonstration.

Also note there is no picture of a mass confrontation and so on...

I understand what Keiran's getting at - if the ball is cleared from the goal line scramble, there's not going to be much difference between an AR raising his flag and running up the line to signal the goal and a ref who flags for an offence/ball out of play, sees the ref wants to play on and then tries to catch up with play. It's a shame there isn't a more distinct signal - even a discrete thumbs up could be interpreted as "you've made the correct decision to play on" rather than "yes, there's a goal".

Personally as an AR, if I think a goal's been scored and the ref appears to play on, I'd be staying on the goal line, waving my flag, shouting and would continue doing so until the ref stops. But that looks messy and isn't in line with the LOTG's "discrete signal" guidance. Would be much simpler if there was a defined signal that made it clear and couldn't be confused with an AR who wants to play on.

No but its explained in the clearest black and white text and really needs no picture, if the OP or anybody cant work out from the text what to do, then surely, go to your next weekly training session and ask a senior person for a demonstration.

Also note there is no picture of a mass confrontation and so on...

Which hand should the flag be raised with to signal goal scored???

Am clearly missing something in some other posts

""if the ball is cleared from the goal line scramble, there's not going to be much difference between an AR raising his flag and running up the line to signal the goal and a ref who flags for an offence/ball out of play, sees the ref wants to play on and then tries to catch up with play. .""

When was the last time you flagged a throw whilst sprinting away from the goal line?? Surely a flag for a throw, foul, offside results in the AR standing static. Huge difference between that and running like the clappers with flag in the air.

Am done with this thread before i type something really juvenile, I guess anybody who needs to know what to do in the OP should contact one of their members face to face and ask for a demonstration.

Back