A&H

AR Signals

Based on what I read there, I would say the important thing would firstly be a raised flag, to alert the referee attention to the ball being out of play, I would keep it raised until the unsighted referee notices it, and in SPL we would signal maybe a bit dramatically down at the corner flag if awarding a corner, yet take a step to left if awarding a goal kick, being careful of course not to "tilt" the flag in a free kick motion.
On this hopefully isolated occasion I would, regardless of comms, be shouting "corner" or at least "balls out" when ref notices raised flag, the latter shout being on the off chance ref would be awarding goal kick when he notices ball is out of play

At least EPL ARs are signalling GKs behind the corner flag so they don’t step left for GKs as far as I can see on TV.

I find it a bit odd this isn’t in the LotG i.e. Where the AR should stand to signal GK and corner. It was convention to signal all GKs from close to the goal area line but they don’t do that in the prem now.

And if we are to signal corners from two yards from the line, GKs from 6, it’s not obvious to the ref our intention when we first start to move (after bringing the flag down in marginal cases)...

(Too much thinking time as an AR and not enough training because I’m too old for the academy!)

The Referee Store
At least EPL ARs are signalling GKs behind the corner flag so they don’t step left for GKs as far as I can see on TV.

I find it a bit odd this isn’t in the LotG i.e. Where the AR should stand to signal GK and corner. It was convention to signal all GKs from close to the goal area line but they don’t do that in the prem now.

And if we are to signal corners from two yards from the line, GKs from 6, it’s not obvious to the ref our intention when we first start to move (after bringing the flag down in marginal cases)...

(Too much thinking time as an AR and not enough training because I’m too old for the academy!)

A season or two ago it was stated in the good book that for 'obvious goal kicks' ARs don't need to signal at all.

A season or two ago it was stated in the good book that for 'obvious goal kicks' ARs don't need to signal at all.
Still there. Page 198
1542511289043.png

Pages 197 to 201 have very useful information and reading (and re-reading) it is a must for any new (or not so new) AR.

Back