A&H

AR positioning for far side corner

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Background: I’ve done probably 150 games as an assistant over 6 seasons, in a lovely Nordic country, where there are some idiosynchracies, like flag angle is lower than the UK, sub flags are echoed by AR2.

On Friday night we had an assessor. Super cool guy.

The assessor was incredulous that I stood in front of the corner flag at far side goal kicks. In 6 years it hasn’t been mentioned.

Have I got this “wrong”?

I thought that it was standard globally to stand in front of the corner flag, specifically to get an unobscured view. I can’t find footage, but is it standard in PL, CL, WC... are there countries where it is not, did it used to be in old LotG diagrams etc...?

Fill me in please;)

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I’ve never heard of it. If I understand you correctly, then in similar situations I’d stand in line with the 6 yard box/18 yard line later on in the game

The only reason to stand in front of the corner flag is if it is restricting your view. If that isn't the case you should stay behind it.

By coincidence I had a match today, for the first time, with a FIFA badged assistant on the other side.

She's been to various UEFA tournaments. If I now understand correctly, FIFA/UEFA teach to stand behind the corner flag but the UK is the exception... is that right, is someone familiar with CORE or been at a prem game this weekend gonna clear this up?

(In the UK or US, do ARs also still stand diagonally with one foot on the field when there is a corner at the other end?)

Last edited:
By coincidence I had a match today, for the first time, with a FIFA badged assistant on the other side.

She's been to various UEFA tournaments. If I now understand correctly, FIFA/UEFA teach to stand behind the corner flag but the UK is the exception... is that right, is someone familiar with CORE or been at a prem game this weekend gonna clear this up?

(In the UK or US, do ARs also still stand diagonally with one foot on the field when there is a corner at the other end?)

Not that I'm aware of in England. Some referees will ask you to take a step onto the pitch when the corner is down the other end and on your side, so that you can buzz him if the ball isn't in the quadrant.

What some top level English assistants do is standard at an angle when the corner is being taken in front of them, I think this is so they can move quickly if the ball is cleared and the defensive line pushes out. I've seen Steve Child and Andy Garratt do that.

I always stand in front of the flag for far side corners and always ask assistants to do the same. Why stand with the corner flag waving in front of your face when you can easily avoid it? Nearside corners, obviously stand behind the flag.
Sounds like your super cool assessor is actually super fussy! You must have done everything else 100% spot on if that's all he has for you.

I’ve never heard of it. If I understand you correctly, then in similar situations I’d stand in line with the 6 yard box/18 yard line later on in the game
He said goal kicks but means corner kicks.
This was quite common at supply / contrib / panel level about 15 - 20 years ago but seems less so now, certainly in this part of the country.

At a contrib game recently observer picked up against it for the other assistant.

Also, once again I refer you to the back of the book in positioning and teamwork section...

Corner kick
The AR’s position for a corner kick is behind the corner flag in line with the
goal line.

At a contrib game recently observer picked up against it for the other assistant.

Also, once again I refer you to the back of the book in positioning and teamwork section...

Corner kick
The AR’s position for a corner kick is behind the corner flag in line with the
goal line.
Must have had sod all else to write about

I always stand in front of the flag for far side corners and always ask assistants to do the same. Why stand with the corner flag waving in front of your face when you can easily avoid it? Nearside corners, obviously stand behind the flag.
Sounds like your super cool assessor is actually super fussy! You must have done everything else 100% spot on if that's all he has for you.
Are you particularly short? No reason for standing in front, other than not being able to see over the flag.

I asked because I'm not particularly tall but had to step in front on a handful of occasions.

Same, I'm 5'9" so most of the time I could stand behind without there being a problem. Occasionally though the flags were higher than usual and I had to step in front to get a clear view.

FIFA/UEFA teach to stand behind the corner flag but the UK is the exception... is that right, is someone familiar with CORE or been at a prem game this weekend gonna clear this up?

Ffs, I'm glad the authorities are worrying about the important things!!!!

I've always been told to stand behind the flag, but if the flag was obstructing my view (not happened yet) then I would take a step inside.

I've never seen anyone do it at League 1 games I've been to, and I can't recall seeing it on TV

Twenty years or so ago, it used to be the accepted AR positioning for far side corners. In fact not only in front of flag but to come 5 yards or so along goal line towards the goal. Because of worries about ARs getting caught out of position for offside decisions it was dropped and the behind the flag advice became customary.

Twenty years or so ago, it used to be the accepted AR positioning for far side corners. In fact not only in front of flag but to come 5 yards or so along goal line towards the goal. Because of worries about ARs getting caught out of position for offside decisions it was dropped and the behind the flag advice became customary.
Thanks for making me feel sane.
Do you know if it still normal in the UK or US?

It's absurd that any referee or observer should ever consider this as an issue
It wasn't a problem - I got an 8,5 for the game as there were a few things behind the refs back and some entering the field to help prevent mass con - so it was just a passing WTF!

And I'm trying to get promoted to a place where the details matter. I haven't had extensive training but I'm up against young guys and girls who have so I have to take in everything I can to do it "right" - and as an AR that means as expected in a lot of ways IMHO ;)

Back