A&H

Applying advantage and awarding a dropped ball instead of a free kick

Status
Not open for further replies.
although you're probably the only one who's going to put his head above the parapet, especially now! ;)

Thirty + years in the army and still counting mate. Easy target. ;)
Surprised my head ain't been shot off well before now. :D

The Referee Store
Your opinion is never wrong Kes, It's what you believe. People may not agree with it, but it's not wrong :)

Personally, I'd agree with the crowd here on this occasion though, DFK or PK :)

Reactions: Kes
Your opinion is never wrong Kes, It's what you believe. People may not agree with it, but it's not wrong :)

Personally, I'd agree with the crowd here on this occasion though, DFK or PK :)

If your opinion is that a push = an IFK then it is most definitely wrong.

I don't agree with his opinion, neither do you. But his opinion is what he believes and thinks, therefore it's not wrong... It's a case of agreement.

My opinion is that it is cold today. Your opinion is that it's warm. Who's wrong?

There are people who are still of the opinion that the earth is flat. If there are 2 differing opinions on something factual, somebody has to be wrong!

I don't agree with his opinion, neither do you. But his opinion is what he believes and thinks, therefore it's not wrong... It's a case of agreement.

My opinion is that it is cold today. Your opinion is that it's warm. Who's wrong?

But his opinion is about a matter of fact.....his opinion is that a push equals an indirect free kick....which is wrong, it doesn't.

No ifs, no buts, no maybe....it's wrong.

Stop being obtuse.

Some people believe the earth is flat.... That's their opinion, their belief...

There's no "being obtuse" about it. An opinion is what someone believes to be true... I've pulled the dictionary out for you.

opinion
[uh-pin-yuh n]
noun
a belief or judgment that rests on groundsinsufficient to produce complete certainty.
a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
the formal expression of a professionaljudgment:
to ask for a second medical opinion.
Law. the formal statement by a judge orcourt of the reasoning and the principles oflaw used in reaching a decision of a case.
a judgment or estimate of a person or thingwith respect to character, merit, etc.:
to forfeit someone's good opinion.
a favorable estimate; esteem:
I haven't much of an opinion of him.

Bored of this now. If you can't see what I'm trying to say, you're being naive. People have opinions; their views, their beliefs. Their opinions can't be wrong to another person, because it's an opinion. We can disagree with said opinion and we can know that it's not true. But, their opinion is correct and true to them.

You're confusing opinions about internal factors or self-reporting with opinions about externable, testable facts. Saying that an opinion is always correct via being based on belief is a circular statement.
In fact, quite often when people make a claim on an opinion they're actually attempting to make a claim on a fact. I might have the opinion that this player deliberately handled the ball but it's simultaneously a statement on a fact, and as such can definitely be wrong. Having an opinion that it's cold could be considered an opinion on an internal judgement; living in Australia, my perception of cold will be different to yours.
In that sense, even the statement 'in the opinion of the referee' is poorly worded - although knowing the rest of the LOTG, that's little surprise.

Reactions: DB
All I'm saying is that someone believe something else... Yes, in our eyes he's wrong and we can disagree with what he's saying... But don't slay people for what they believe in. Too many people on here are quick to jump down the throats of others, often in quite a rude manner.

We are all here to seek advice, give advice and to learn/share. That's the purpose of a forum. But some of the stuff I've read over the last few days disappoints me. It gives referee's a bad name. I had some work colleagues read a thread the other day, and their reply was "Who does he think he is?".... That's not what this forum should be about. I'm new, I've only been here a few weeks but I enjoy the chat, banter and the knowledge that's available to everyone. I just think that the way in which people go about voicing their opinions, whether they are based around fact or not, could be done alot better and in a much kinder manner.

Last edited:
Bored now lads. You want to argue, pm each other. Knock yourselves out. The rest of us don't want to see every discussion dissolve into the nonsense above. This happens again and warning points are going to be handed out.

As it seems this topic is done - Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back