A&H

Apologise to Club

AJPRef95

Hi All.

Video evidence has confirmed that I missed a RC offense at my game on Saturday.

Having watched the footage back I feel guilty that I missed the incident on the day (we are only human after all).

Would you phone/email the club secretary and apologise?

The Referee Store
If I felt that I really wanted to, I would only phone - I wouldn't want anything in writing.

What was the RC offence?

I’m not sure I would, to be honest. I don’t see what good admitting you were at fault does, other than potentially wind the club up that they should have been playing vs 10 men and making you feel a bit better about yourself. One of those where you learn from it, move on, and focus up on the next game for me.

I’m not sure I would, to be honest. I don’t see what good admitting you were at fault does, other than potentially wind the club up that they should have been playing vs 10 men and making you feel a bit better about yourself. One of those where you learn from it, move on, and focus up on the next game for me.
Good advice. Thanks for commenting.

I've never contacted clubs before, but just felt that with my current league I would be seeing this team on numerous occasions throughout the season, and didn't want to hide away from the video evidence

Stamps are horrid ones and difficult to see in their entirety. Luckily in a cup final, I originally gave a YC and my assistant called me and said he looked at the player and moved foot towards him - from my angle I couldn’t seen the intent.

Luckily had a very experienced AR who was confident so said bye bye!

But they are hard to see - and what’s interesting is that the referee at the top level today needed VAR.

Don't beat yourself up about it. YOU weren't the one who stamped on someone while the ref wasn't looking.

Don't really see that any good would come from apologising. If it was an obvious penalty that you were looking directly at and got wrong then perhaps worth an apology, but that is a lot different to a stamp that I would guess was off the ball. No referee can see everything that happens in a game and, just like players, will make mistakes.

Using a comparison, if VAR wasn't in use do you think the referee in the England vs Nigeria game today would have apologised for missing the Lauren James stamp? I very much doubt it.

Agree with others here, no need for an apology post video review.
Absolutely nothing wrong with "I'm sorry if I missed it/got it wrong. I'll review the footage if you can share it with me and see what I can do to improve in the future." And a thank you for being able to have the opportunity to do so as many many occasions these things happen and you've no idea if right or wrong.

Hi All.

Having watched the footage back I feel guilty that I missed the incident on the day (we are only human after all).

I woudn't. It's part of being a ref. We're not perfect and neither are they. Brush yourself down, learn from it and focus on the next match.

Just don't beat yourself up too much. Being critical of your performance if a good trait, though. It shows you want to improve and you'll be become a better ref for analysing and improving yourself. It's the refs that don't care and don't learn that never get better.

Hi All.

As others have said, the only reason you are going to contact the club is to make "yourself feel better". There is nothing to be gained either as a referee or to make the club feel less aggrieved.

Mark it down to experience, and if you are asked when you are next there, then is the time to say - "I just didn't see it".

I remember many years ago being shown a very clear stamp on the touchline by a player.
Was shown after the game.
They said it was impossible to see for me. It literally was, the body of the one stamped on (his arm was what was caught) completely hid the stamp. Never in a million years would you see it and only a neutral assistant would help here.
They were fine with the on field decision (no action) as you can't give what you don't see (or not perfectly see).

Take it as something you couldn't see, and can't deal with after the fact (by video) and see how you think you can improve/do different for next time.
Every game you learn something, even 20+ years later in my case.

I remember many years ago being shown a very clear stamp on the touchline by a player.
Was shown after the game.
They said it was impossible to see for me. It literally was, the body of the one stamped on (his arm was what was caught) completely hid the stamp. Never in a million years would you see it and only a neutral assistant would help here.
They were fine with the on field decision (no action) as you can't give what you don't see (or not perfectly see).

Take it as something you couldn't see, and can't deal with after the fact (by video) and see how you think you can improve/do different for next time.
Every game you learn something, even 20+ years later in my case.
We also sometimes see things that didn't actually happen as we thought they did. Take the referee in the England vs Nigeria game, she has clearly seen something as she cautioned, but her brain processed the information completely differently to how it did when she saw a replay of it.

It happens, even the very best referees make mistakes. Just like the best players and managers make mistakes, and I rarely hear them apologising for them.

We also sometimes see things that didn't actually happen as we thought they did. Take the referee in the England vs Nigeria game, she has clearly seen something as she cautioned, but her brain processed the information completely differently to how it did when she saw a replay of it.

It happens, even the very best referees make mistakes. Just like the best players and managers make mistakes, and I rarely hear them apologising for them.
I'd wager she thought she'd seen the player 'only' step on the player but then, with the benefit of the video, realised that there was also a (very slight) stamping motion. Much as I loath VAR, definitely a good intervention on this occasion.

Out of interest, has anyone on here ever had a club contact you to say that on reflection they thought your decision was correct, and they apologise for disagreeing with you?
Yes! A famously ****housing team, a coach post game, after him and his players give it all that all game, text me to apologise and that I had a good game. I think I was the first ref to give it back (sin bins)

Out of interest, has anyone on here ever had a club contact you to say that on reflection they thought your decision was correct, and they apologise for disagreeing with you?
Oh yes. Best one was a penalty I gave along with two yellows for protesting. Both were referees. One was the captain is now a (Nordic country) premier league AR. He called me after, apologized and said I was right.

Different breed, refs!

Back