A&H

Anyone ever scored a goal?

If you don't have neutral assistants that is fine, but if you do you shouldn't be going there. Firstly you are potentially killing your assistant, if you give the goal when he is stood directly behind the corner flag he has zero credibility for the rest of the game, and arguably nor do you. Also it rules out your varied viewing angles, you will almost be looking directly across at each other and as the referee you would have a bigger picture by being 5 or 10 metres deeper.

This is fair. I always have the opinion that I’m ultimately responsible for the right call. If I had a clear view and could get to a spot where I could be on the line (usually in between the goal area boundary and the penalty area boundary), then I would. You never know if my AR has a player blocking his view.

For me, it hasn’t been about undermining my AR. It’s about knowing that ultimately, I’m responsible for running the game as the center. However, I can certainly see how those who disagree have their viewpoint.

Normally, the deepest I ever get is to the top of the goal area, but like I said I’ve had a couple of times where the ball was rolling to the goal line and instinct kicked in. I also felt like that would sell the call more.

The Referee Store
Normally, the deepest I ever get is to the top of the goal area, but like I said I’ve had a couple of times where the ball was rolling to the goal line and instinct kicked in. I also felt like that would sell the call more.

The way to sell the call is to point at your AR, who should be standing right on the goal line.

The way to sell the call is to point at your AR, who should be standing right on the goal line.

Yes, and also tell the ARs during the pre-match instructions to hold their position at the corner flag (or keep trying to get there ..!) so that when you blow the whistle or point at them and everyone looks over they are right behind the corner flag. Don't want them celebrating a great decision and legging it so that by the time everyone looks at them they are 20 metres away.

Reactions: JH
If you don't have neutral assistants that is fine, but if you do you shouldn't be going there. Firstly you are potentially killing your assistant, if you give the goal when he is stood directly behind the corner flag he has zero credibility for the rest of the game, and arguably nor do you. Also it rules out your varied viewing angles, you will almost be looking directly across at each other and as the referee you would have a bigger picture by being 5 or 10 metres deeper.

Normally id agree but think on this occasion firstly the assistant is on the far side, its A) hard for him to see in between the posts and B) there is a host of bodies in between the goal line.

Its rubbish saying if you're in that position to say you dont trust the assistant, he could have got himself a bit wider to the situation granted but think he knew there was going to be a scramble and wanted to give himself the best chance to give the decision.

Its just very unfortunate what happened.

Normally id agree but think on this occasion firstly the assistant is on the far side, its A) hard for him to see in between the posts and B) there is a host of bodies in between the goal line.

Its rubbish saying if you're in that position to say you dont trust the assistant, he could have got himself a bit wider to the situation granted but think he knew there was going to be a scramble and wanted to give himself the best chance to give the decision.

Unfortunately actions have consequences. His action was putting himself in a place where a clearance could hit him. The consequence was he scored and is now a star of YouTube and talked about worldwide .. :)

Things are rarely just unfortunate, there is usually an action that contributes to that situation happening.

If it barely crosses the line and you're the assistant, are you giving it and effectively punishing the referee for his mistake, or are you not giving it and saving him?

Disagree. It's not "just unfortunate"--the referee put himself in a horribly bad position that made it possible. Even if you subscribe to the theory that he should get close enough to the goal line to make the call instead of the AR, that doesn't support being right in front of the goal. A very poor positioning decision led to the goal. If we, as referees, just try to justify this, we are missing an opportunity. Wisdom may come from learning for our mistakes, but better yet to learn from others' mistakes.

If it barely crosses the line and you're the assistant, are you giving it and effectively punishing the referee for his mistake, or are you not giving it and saving him?

As the NAR, it would have to be significantly over the line to give.

As referee, i am sure murder of the AR was the second thought in his head. The first being F***......

Reactions: JH
Back