A&H

Anyone ever scored a goal?

The Referee Store
If it was one week later it wouldn't have been allowed as well.

Ive never scored but ball hit me only last week and created a promising attack for a team, i was thinking please dont score, thankfully they didn't.

Well that's just unlucky, but what do we make of this? He had to be close to judge the goal/ no goal but I've never seen this before

He's got an assistant to make the goal line decision, he doesn't need to be that close. Perhaps he wished he was making the decision himself as then he could say it didn't cross the line and avoid a load of grief.

Penetrating the area is fine, but you do it wide and certainly not that close to play.

I’m fine with him going deep into the area. He’s trying to get close enough to see for himself if the ball is going over the line. However, he probably should have gone wider to get a better angle on the goal line.

I’ve been able to be on the goal line myself to see if a ball is completely over on games up to under 15. I realize my AR is there and I’ll have to sprint for a counterattack, but if I can be in position to rule on a ball over the line myself I’ll do it. I once saw a referee in my son’s game who never left the center circle miss two goal calls because he wasn’t in position. I vowed to myself that I’d never be one of those refs.

Until May 31, it's a goal. Ball is in play since it rebounded off the referee.
From June 1, it's a dropped ball, for the defending goalkeeper, because the ball is inside the penalty area when it touches the referee.

Not exactly. The new Laws apply to competitions beginning after June 1. (Though competitions may have discretion to change mid season, I’m. It sure on that.)

Not exactly. The new Laws apply to competitions beginning after June 1. (Though competitions may have discretion to change mid season, I’m. It sure on that.)
Best practice is to not change the laws halfway through a competition because it creates grief for officials and players, and it's often difficult to get the training done properly halfway through, so that was somewhat implied.
The IFAB Changes and Clarifications document says that competitions may apply them from the start of the competition (already moot) or at an agreed point partway through (e.g. after a break or beginning with games on X date) or delay until not after the start of the next.

We won’t use the new laws until 2020 when the season starts in April-May. It’s just not possible to switch laws mid-season. I think main reason is the budget needed to run training courses for all refs.

I’m fine with him going deep into the area. He’s trying to get close enough to see for himself if the ball is going over the line. However, he probably should have gone wider to get a better angle on the goal line.

I’ve been able to be on the goal line myself to see if a ball is completely over on games up to under 15. I realize my AR is there and I’ll have to sprint for a counterattack, but if I can be in position to rule on a ball over the line myself I’ll do it. I once saw a referee in my son’s game who never left the center circle miss two goal calls because he wasn’t in position. I vowed to myself that I’d never be one of those refs.

If you're doing this with neutral ARs then your positioning is simply incorrect. Why not send the ARs home and you can do offsides as well?
Big gap between centre circle refs and what you're doing. You've gone too far to the other extreme

I have no issue with him being that close, obviously there is a few players on the goal line and one is probably obstructing the view of the assistant, the referee is anticipating to see if the ball crosses the line which is fine but he should have been a 5-6 feet to his left when facing the goal.

Is there a case for a bit of self preservation here by just saying you didn't think it crossed the line?

May be, but if your assistant is stood behind the corner flag with his flag up you face something of a challenge. If you look at the referee's reaction it isn't immediate, so pretty sure AR gave it.

There is just no need for him to be that close. if he backed out 5 yards or so he would still have a clear view and would be the optimal 10 yards or so away from it.

If you're doing this with neutral ARs then your positioning is simply incorrect. Why not send the ARs home and you can do offsides as well?
Big gap between centre circle refs and what you're doing. You've gone too far to the other extreme

As referees, we are supposed to be in a position where we can make the correct call. If I can be on the goal line to make a call, I’ll be there.

I’ve done this 2-3 times as a referee, and I’ll do it again if necessary. The only times I've ever done it is when I've creeped into the area in a scramble and then followed the ball as it made it closer to the goal line. It certainly isn't a normal mechanic.

Last edited:
To answer the OP, yes, twice.

Once in an U10s game, clearance from one goalkeeper flicked off my forehead and lobbed the opposite one.

Other one, U14s, player takes a corner from the left, cleared by first defender. Attacker in edge of the area slams it straight against a defender and it rebounds to him. Second shot is even worse. It would have hit the corner flag but smacked me on the thigh and beat the keeper at the near post. 😁

As referees, we are supposed to be in a position where we can make the correct call. If I can be on the goal line to make a call, I’ll be there.

I’ve done this 2-3 times as a referee, and I’ll do it again if necessary.

Completely disagree when it comes to the goal line with qualified ARs. The AR should be in perfect position to make that call right on the goal line. If you go there, you’re saying you don’t trust your AR to do his job. And by trying to do his job, you’re interfering with your ability to do your job. There is a reason you don’t see PL or WC refs in positions like that—they understand the concept of teamwork. (Solo or CAR is a different story.)

Reactions: JH
To answer the OP, yes, twice.

Once in an U10s game, clearance from one goalkeeper flicked off my forehead and lobbed the opposite one.

Other one, U14s, player takes a corner from the left, cleared by first defender. Attacker in edge of the area slams it straight against a defender and it rebounds to him. Second shot is even worse. It would have hit the corner flag but smacked me on the thigh and beat the keeper at the near post. 😁
Hope you booked yourself when you ran to the corner flag and pulled your shirt off to celebrate.........

I’ve done this 2-3 times as a referee, and I’ll do it again if necessary. The only times I've ever done it is when I've creeped into the area in a scramble and then followed the ball as it made it closer to the goal line. It certainly isn't a normal mechanic.

If you don't have neutral assistants that is fine, but if you do you shouldn't be going there. Firstly you are potentially killing your assistant, if you give the goal when he is stood directly behind the corner flag he has zero credibility for the rest of the game, and arguably nor do you. Also it rules out your varied viewing angles, you will almost be looking directly across at each other and as the referee you would have a bigger picture by being 5 or 10 metres deeper.

Back