A&H

(Another) first game

I agree with all of the above. I am still figuring about how best to progress from a quiet warning to a public one. Taking longer over the conversation, calling captains in etc. Is there anything else that shows authority in this regard?
Use you whistle to stop the restart (rather than just sneaking a word in when you get a chance), call the player over to meet you and essentially, make sure the other 21 players on the pitch are watching you.

A public word like this is all about setting them up for a card if they slip up again - if 21 people have seen you tell a player not to do something and he then does it, the caution that follows can become a very easy sell.

The Referee Store
Wow....seriously wow. Talk about stretching an interpretation to blow smoke up someones orifice!

Since when did "could have" only have one possible interpretation? It could equally mean the referee was 100% certain it was a red card, but chose not to go with it because they were fearful of the consequences, intimidated by the situation, had never given one before so didn't know what to do etc etc.

OK, bad choice of phase. "Could have" was meant to mean that he wasn't sure if it was a RC not the consequences of the action.

The first bit of bold highlighting.....totally irrelevant....a red card is a red card.

That word "dangerous"......red card offence. That word "reckless"....yellow card offence. You need to decide which one it was.

Third bit of bold......are you saying you didn't think that a red card would change peoples behaviour? Or that you didn't feel confident in dimissing a player?

Out of interest, what age group was this?

Ease off Padfoot, he’s come on here asking for advice, that’s the whole point of the forum I hope. Yes, he may have messed up, haven’t we all.... I’m sure if an experienced assessor watched you he could mark you down for certain decisions... everyday should be a learning day.... hopefully next time he can take on board some of yours and others comments and he may do something different..

Again, I am agreeing with @Sheffields Finest - there must be something wrong with me. :confused:

@Padfoot - @JimmyF had done his first match and asking for advice and comments as a referee who had done ONE GAME. The more experienced officials will understand your position but seriously, please me a bit more supportive of the new referees. I bet his feel like :blackeye:

OK, bad choice of phase. "Could have" was meant to mean that he wasn't sure if it was a RC not the consequences of the action.

Again, I am agreeing with @Sheffields Finest - there must be something wrong with me. :confused:

@Padfoot - @JimmyF had done his first match and asking for advice and comments as a referee who had done ONE GAME. The more experienced officials will understand your position but seriously, please me a bit more supportive of the new referees. I bet his feel like :blackeye:

SF has gone all fluffy and soft since his retirement from the middle, so not really that much to worry about agreeing with him! ;)

And advice and comments is exactly what he got........forgive me for not using 1000 words to say the same thing.....which part of the advice do you disagree with?

I agree with what has been said. This is the "New Referees" section and people posting in here will undoubtedly have made mistakes and are looking for advice, not criticism.

@Padfoot , please refrain from having a pop at new referees, or people trying to help them, in here. If you can't then I'd respectfully suggest staying out of this section. Sometimes a bit of encouragement, of blowing smoke up their orifice as you rather unhelpfully put it, is just what a new referee needs.

I agree with what has been said. This is the "New Referees" section and people posting in here will undoubtedly have made mistakes and are looking for advice, not criticism.

@Padfoot , please refrain from having a pop at new referees, or people trying to help them, in here. If you can't then I'd respectfully suggest staying out of this section. Sometimes a bit of encouragement, of blowing smoke up their orifice as you rather unhelpfully put it, is just what a new referee needs.

Show me where I have had a "pop" at this new referee?

Second thing....a red card is a red card. End of. No wonder the team congratulated you at the end....your failure to dismiss their player just saved them a 3 match suspension and the player £35 worth of fines.

If you think that isn't having a pop then I would hate you to be my mentor. You could have worded that much better without putting a new referee down, and then you've also had a go at those trying to support the referee.

If you think that isn't having a pop then I would hate you to be my mentor. You could have worded that much better without putting a new referee down, and then you've also had a go at those trying to support the referee.

Not even close to being a "pop". Just an abrupt and brusque way of putting things.....and you clearly overlooking (deliberately?) my later post where I explain to the OP that it's not personal etc etc.......but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your Padfoot bashing.....

And I've merely pointed out the fallacy behind the defence of "genuine mistake"......which of course hasn't gone down well, because nobody likes to have their weaknesses highlighted.

I've just got up from the floor, Lincs has finally seen the light....TWICE. :rolleyes:
Lets put it another way Padders, on your first day at school, (in your short trousers I hope back in the day), you probably couldn't string two correct spellings together, someone sat with you and nursed you along the way teaching you stuff that increased your proficiency to a certain level. Then there were some big tests at the end of it all and you went out into the real world thinking that you knew everything, 5 CSEs and an O level in Pottery ;).... and then on your first day at full time work in that big bad world you did something wrong and some old grumpy boss went and shouted at you making you cry, your confidence was dented and you didn't want to go back to work..... A good boss would take that young employee under his wing, show him tactfully where he went wrong, encourage him to learn this and new things too. That would ensure that he got the best out of his new employee for many years to come...The clue is in the title NEW Referees... we were all there once!! :cool: Now, where is my Rocker??

I've just got up from the floor, Lincs has finally seen the light....TWICE. :rolleyes:
Lets put it another way Padders, on your first day at school, (in your short trousers I hope back in the day), you probably couldn't string two correct spellings together, someone sat with you and nursed you along the way teaching you stuff that increased your proficiency to a certain level. Then there were some big tests at the end of it all and you went out into the real world thinking that you knew everything, 5 CSEs and an O level in Pottery ;).... and then on your first day at full time work in that big bad world you did something wrong and some old grumpy boss went and shouted at you making you cry, your confidence was dented and you didn't want to go back to work..... A good boss would take that young employee under his wing, show him tactfully where he went wrong, encourage him to learn this and new things too. That would ensure that he got the best out of his new employee for many years to come...The clue is in the title NEW Referees... we were all there once!! :cool: Now, where is my Rocker??

Was with you right up to the bold highlighted bit.

I don't do "tactful".....haven't got time for it. Why say something in 1000 words when you can say the same in 100? It's nothing personal against the OP, as I've already pointed out (3 times now) it's just the way I am. And that is exactly what happened in my first job in the big wide world....I had a really grumpy boss who shouted at people for the least little thing......but it didn't bother me, because in school we had teachers who shouted at you when you did something wrong.....unlike today where they will simply do an "intervention" or send you to the "School Counseller".
If someone does something wrong, then they should be challenged on that, and taught the correct way of doing things.......not given some faux sympathy or told that it doesn't matter that they got it wrong etc etc because they don't learn a damn thing by doing that.

That's the problem with the world today.....everybody is more concerned about how a message is "perceived" rather than the content of that message and whether it is received.

And to be utterly blunt, if someone can't take a slightly abrupt manner of advice on an internet forum without breaking down in a crisis of confidence, then I would truly worry about how they will cope with a 6'4 hung over quasi-neanderthal centre half screaming in their face because they dared to award a penalty against them.

Guess I am still in the queue to be reconstructed!

Nothing wrong with tactfully, it’s not ignoring it, it’s putting it in a way that needs saying without going gung ho commando. Had it been me making this possible error then fair play, do your worst, I’ve faced the 6-4 grunts. I would deserve it. Point here is it’s a new refs section, surely that deserves a bit of ‘learning curve’ input.

Not saying your wrong, just the form of words could be a bit more conciliatory.

@JimmyF Look forward to hearing how it goes in your next games. I started reffing in the leagues I had been playing in. In the beginning, part of it was because I wanted more from the refs as a player and I wanted to contribute. I found the first games tough from the emotional side. Took me a while to lose my excess empathy (and disbelief!) for players. Remember, expect the unexpected!

Back