A&H

An interesting one...

Why not just feel it? Very simple, it stays in place if it is genuine, you can tell if he is taking the pee and has a peircing under there, no issues.

Although obviously not with youth players! The child protection issues there give me the shivers! One for the coach.

For the actual point I think if you lose that battle over jewellery you're seen as weak before you've even left the changing area.

The Referee Store
a fellow referee in my town had to get changed in same dressing room as one team as no separate changing room. He noticed a Prince Albert piercing on one of the players whilst he was getting changed. He insisted on it's removal, which the player eventually did . Comments from the player were he had worn it all season, why was he looking at that part of his body and he would continue to wear it in future as other referees would not be aware he had it.

Lol I'm not checking someone's underpants. Not enough money in the world to persuade me that I need to do that! :D fingers, wrists, eyebrow, lips and ears - the visible stuff - yes. Anything underneath clothing such as nipple rings and genital piercings... Nope.

I have heard a similar story before about a German ref taking a player to a changing room and insisting he took out a genital piercing. Always assumed it was a fairy story...

Did that Definately happen to this ref you know?

yes I am sure it did happen to this ref. It was a few years ago and he took everything very seriously. He was on county committees etc.and was not the type who would make something up. He announced it at a referees association meeting and made other referees aware of the player and team for future reference if any of us were to be officiating this player in future games.

Reactions: SM
Man alive, above and beyond! I am giving you a "like" because the story is amazing. It was not for the actions of the referee in question! He is maybe a little "nuts" :D

I've seen games from the top level here in England where the players clearly do NOT know the laws!

Appealing for offside direct from a goal kick, I saw live with my own eyes!
That must be a special case.

A little surprising but not special.

There have been quite a few high profile incidents at the top level here, where players and managers clearly do not know the laws.
In my country, most pro footballers know the rules. But you cannot miss a player who will question your decisions whenever you make the right calls.

If I can't see it I'm taking no action.
I certainly most be physically examining any player for jewellery

A player with an injury which opens, such as stitches, by it being "touched" gently by a referee (and as I explained you probably would have to do no more than take an interest or at most look carefully at it for the player to realise he was rumbled and remove the piercing/ring) has no place on a freaking football pitch! :D

Back