A&H

An interesting one...

CallumRushton13

Level 6 Referee
So, checking players kit and one of them has a plaster on their ear... Ask him what it's for and he replied "I've got a cut on my ear" with a smile... You are 99% sure it's there to hide an earing. What do you do??

Was brought up in an RA meeting last night and our decision was unanimous, thoigh we were unsure in law. So I thought i'd bring it up here too...

The Referee Store
the difference between an earring and a cut should be obvious enough when you look closely so I would base my decision on that. If it looks like an earring it is coming out or he is not playing or he can prove to me that it is a cut and not an earring.

You have no way of proving - I would allow him to play.

Unless of course, it's a massive earring which a plaster is not hiding / you can obviously see it is an earring.

Have a feel of it. You will feel if it has a peircing under it with minimal contact.

Speaking of that, am I the only one who don't understand why players want to keep earrings ? I can get it for finger rings because sometimes they're hard to get off, but earrings are pretty simple to get off no ? Plus, if I had one, I'd be worried to lose it or to take the ball on the ear and break it/injure myself

I'd say 'very often when I blow my whistle players shout 'Jesus,'. Perhaps I should take a look for you' :D

Surely you can't demand a player to remove a plaster?? What if it reopen a the wound and they have no more available, hence he would be unable to play...

I would let him play personally, as anything else could open you up to all kind of problems...

Why not just feel it? Very simple, it stays in place if it is genuine, you can tell if he is taking the pee and has a peircing under there, no issues.

Letting it go without inspection is poor.

Are we really in a position to say to players 'let me feel your plaster or you're not playing'?? I don't see what we can do other than let him play and keep am eye out...

Tbh I'm most surprised that no other teams have tried this

Putting words in my mouth mate. He says "I have a cut ref"

Sorry to hear that, can I just check to make sure your not trying to put one over on me?

He either says ok or says ok, I'll take it out.

No need for any aggression. Just be polite. He knows why you want to check.

As I said, just leaving someone play without any kind of check is weak. Would you do the same if a player had a plaster on a ring finger?

Depending on how they answered then yes... Imo we are not there to check players injuries... If they claim to be cut I don't think we are in the right to ask for proof...

You're not checking for a cut. Your not checking for anything other than a piercing (with a plaster on ear) or ring (finger plaster) :D

Each to their own mate. If that is how you would handle it, then fine.

Why are we going out of our way to check a player's story...at the end of the day it's only the jewellery we can see that we can ask for them to remove (as far as I am aware; please correct if this is wrong aha!)...if s/he wants to keep their belly/nipple (or god forbid 'Prince Albert!!!') in then we've done our check and can't really go beyond that? I think the same can be applied here and I certainly would never ask a player to feel it. Having said that if it is obvious then there is no way that player is going to be playing with it in...

Despite the rules... should we not be applying a little common sense here??
The responsibility is on the players... end of!! Why should it be our responsibility to check... we (referee's) follow a set of rules to kit ourselves accordingly and so they (the players) should ensure they do the same.

Correct, but what length would you go to identify jewellery in the situation given above?? Are we allowed to check jewellery under plasters, if they claim there is a cut there or not??
Yeah it is the responsibility of the match officials to check for any jewelery wrapped under plasters. Once you suspect a player is wearing it, ask him to remove it.

Despite the rules... should we not be applying a little common sense here??
The responsibility is on the players... end of!! Why should it be our responsibility to check... we (referee's) follow a set of rules to kit ourselves accordingly and so they (the players) should ensure they do the same.
It is the duty of the referee to ensure that the player's equipment meets the requirements of Law 4

The responsibility is on the players to have the correct kit. The responsibility to ensure that players follow through with their responsibility lies with the referee and assistants.

It's clearly in the LOTG. You guys are starting to sound a lot like last weeks ref here. Don't be last weeks ref guys. We may not like some elements of the LOTG, but you still have to up hold them. :)

Back