A&H

Amber Warning

All junior and most women's games called off.

One league put an announcement out to give permission to the away team to call the game off if they didn't fancy travelling in the weather due to health and safety. However, they had to inform both the home team and chase the referee. They were also asked not to abuse it, since we seem to have patches of horrific weather and some places where the sun is out.

The Referee Store
I think the decision to call the Man City game off 5 hours early was probably the right one.

They have to consider the safety of fans and staff, and unlike us down the local rec can't really wait until half an hour before kick off before telling 50k+ fans to go home.

Before todays game in S2 it was really blustery and squally, but after 10-15 minutes the sun was out and we were shielding our eyes. 4 seasons in one day as we ended in glorious sunshine!!

Before todays game in S2 it was really blustery and squally, but after 10-15 minutes the sun was out and we were shielding our eyes. 4 seasons in one day as we ended in glorious sunshine!!
It depends what the conditions in the surrounding areas are though, and what the forecast (at the time the decision was made) was.

I doubt this will have been the referee who made the call, more likely the Police and other will have decided that it would potentially cause to many problems having 50k+ travelling in potentially difficult conditions.

I know there has been a lot of flooding in areas around Manchester, and West Ham fans didn't get out of London as all the trains from Euston were cancelled.

Where i am it's still torrential rain.

The most overused term in the English language
Was it not just called off due to common sense?
Well yes, but the communication got used the term "health and safety" though what they actually meant was that it wouldn't be safe to travel for many people

Just had a look on full time for my league.

Two games played, but one of them was abandoned. Now, it could have been abandoned for a whole host of reason, but I’m guessing it was weather related

Well yes, but the communication got used the term "health and safety" though what they actually meant was that it wouldn't be safe to travel for many people

yeah sorry I thought it would have been. My moan was aimed at them not you.
Just a pet peeve of mine!

Slight aside, I stopped at this hotel in Hawick 3 weeks ago, Now collapsed into the river! I had my breakfast by the left hand window. The water that morning was angry, god knows what it was like to do this. Its been there for donkeys years. We've just had thunder and lightening so we aren't over the worst yet!!
16B83217-B9DD-4579-A9CF-6AEC92FCE671.jpeg

Travel has to be a consideration, and there will be an element of rear end covering that goes on. Ultimately at the top level the referee doesn't have the final say, if the police match commander says it is off for safety reasons it is off regardless of what the referee or the FA thinks. There would have been a lot of West Ham fans travelling up to Man city, train lines were suspended and met office were advising against all but essential travel, so if the commander says it is on and then people are injured or killed in weather related accidents that's his job down the pan. Probably isn't right, but I wonder if the Sheff United vs Bournemouth game was viewed differently as the number of travelling supporters would be vastly less. Also, and I don't mean this a disrespectful way to either club, I would guess there is a much bigger percentage of homes fans travelling long distance to go to Manchester than there is to Sheffield.

Hmm... All things equal (Sheff U game), the decision to postpone the later game looks like a bad call. Bad calls happen, for whatever reason
No drama, just a bad call

Back