A&H

Amber Warning

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
I've postponed my two Youth games in the morning
Very unlike me to have safety concerns, but I can't see the wisdom in U16s playing in 50+mph gusts
Adults maybe at a push, but even then the games would be a joke
Anyone venturing out into the Amber?

The Referee Store
I'm still ill, so no.

I would like to though, because I reckon we'd get some halfway line goals depending on the layout of the ground.

Have a game tomorrow morning, near the coast. It’s the furthest distance I travel on my Sunday league (about 23 miles/35 mins away).

its currently dry and, although not still, wouldn’t even describe it as breezy.

but the forecast for tomorrow am is heavy rain and 50 mph winds by kick off. Tough to call it off now, but I’d rather not be barrelling my way along the road on the way to the game, and it get called off. (Fortunately the wind and rain is due from 6am ish, so maybe a decision can be made early doors.)

Have a game tomorrow morning, near the coast. It’s the furthest distance I travel on my Sunday league (about 23 miles/35 mins away).

but the forecast for tomorrow am is heavy rain and 50 mph winds by kick off. Tough to call it off now, but I’d rather not be barrelling my way along the road on the way to the game, and it get called off. (Fortunately the wind and rain is due from 6am ish, so maybe a decision can be made early doors.)
There was some discussion on here a week ago, in which a member was unanimously questioned for calling a game off the day before. I'll trust Wincy Willis and Francis Wilson this time around however. Not expecting 1987 again, but kids and severe gales shouldn't appear in the same sentence

I've postponed my two Youth games in the morning
Very unlike me to have safety concerns, but I can't see the wisdom in U16s playing in 50+mph gusts
Adults maybe at a push, but even then the games would be a joke
Anyone venturing out into the Amber?
When you say your a @Big Cat, are you sure we shouldn't downgrade that for this weekend!! ;)

In Suffolk it is county cup weekend and Suffolk fa called all games off at around lunch time today. The youth league who play tomorrow have postponed all games and the women's league are postponing individual games. Not sure about the Sunday leagues but it is better to be safe than sorry. The Orwell bridge will be shut tomorrow so Ipswich will be gridlocked.

The women's league I do sent out a message saying that if the amber warning was still in place at 9am tomorrow then they would be calling off all games. The league is very spread out so there are safety concerns with travelling and there are a few teams near the coast etc.

Reports where I am said the wind will be around 50mph with gusts upto 80 near the coast.

Played friendly first half in a downpour last weekend. Just before the second half kick off I saw lightning in the distance. 15 seconds later the thunder. Took players off and 20 minutes later called the game off after a few more lightnings and no improvements. Some were happy and some were whining they wanted to play and didn't care about the distant lightning. You can't win them all.

Got a text at 8am this morning calling the game off.

Right decision- game (OA) would have been a farce in this wind

So popped down to the pool instead, swam a mile, now tucking into a few rounds of toast and wondering why I don’t do this ever Sunday morning, instead of babysitting 22 hung over blokes.

(But I know I’ll be back out with the whistle next week, and enjoying it.)

Out for a run this morning and there were a few Sunday League games happening (and a small-sided children's game!). They didn't appear farcical at all. I was left feeling rueful that I'd been too cautious in my advance postponement, when minutes later there was a sudden fork of lightening and rapturous thunder. I legged it home not knowing the fate of the two games just witnessed

All games local to me were called off due to health and safety.

Not only for the fact the weather might affect the game (no chance of a ball staying stationary long enough for a free kick etc) but also the risks involved in travelling, both from journey times being increased due to localised flooding and fallen trees, but also the potential danger from driving in these conditions.

Strange that the Man City game has been called off, "Due to extreme and escalating weather conditions".... when conditions will be rapidly improving in the NW between now an KO
Arguably, Sheffield will have worse weather, yet their game is on 🧐

It's not strange at all, perfectly normal in cases of extreme weather.

There has been substantial flooding all over the NW, which has caused disruptions to trains etc (many west hams couldn't travel due to train cancellations at Euston), it also introduces additional risks to people travelling to the game

Spectator safety isn't a consideration at our level, but at EPL they have to take into account whether fans will be safe getting too and from the game.

There is also the obvious fact that the weather isn't the same all over the country and conditions in Manchester can be completely different to conditions in Sheffield.

The Police and the like also have an input, the referee won't have just turned up to the game and gone, "Nah mate, too windy".

B0591B19-7C1C-4B32-93B6-B7238A45F196.jpeg

John Moss has a little helper today.... pitch is perfect, windy and occasionally squally rain but perfect for football. Settle down in your slippers, and enjoy!

I'm glad I took this weekend off to see family, up in Scotland, weather is better than what most places seem to have, and I haven't missed any reffing.

Looking forward to next weekend.

Back