A&H

Alan Pardew headbutt

Disgraceful. Newcastle should have put the boot in but with Pardews record £100k & a warning doesn't seem enough. Should be on a ground ban for 5 matches minimum, and possibly a further 5 matches touchline ban. He definitely shouldn't be seen in the technical area anytime over the next 2 months.

The Referee Store
That is for the FA to sort out. Club in house discipline is different.

Massive overreaction in my opinion. Number one, that ain't no headbutt. People don't just stand there when you headbutt them. I guess the way he did it - touching faces and then pushing away - is the form of using your head physically against someone most favoured by footballers but it's still so new not to have a word to properly describe it. Headpush? Headlunge? Lot of stuff and nonsense if you ask me: you certainly couldn't cause anybody damage doing that. If he'd used the same force with his hand in the same place it wouldn't be talked about as much as it is.

Also, I reckon the player should have been off. Can you really shove the opposition manager like that? Pardew's got no obligation to stop the ball for him.

Still, it was a pretty dumb thing for AP to do. But not a sackable offence. A hundred grand's pretty stiff but, as was mentioned, Newcastle figure hit him big and early and maybe the FA'll back off a bit and people can calm down. Lineker and Savage et al going apoplectic's only gonna get the media frothing. Don't know what Shearer's said but he's usually good for stirring the sh*t.

It's good AP can smile about these things. It's a high pressure environment, full of "heat of the moment" stupidities. We know how it is in our little games so what must it be like at the top? He's calmed down and apologised; what more should he do? Is he supposed to weep and go about in sack cloth? Whatever: I bet the Hull player's not that bothered about it; seems like he likes a bit of a tangle. If I was Meyler I'd be laughing about it too, shake my head and feel a bit daft for the initial shove that started the whole thing anyways. He's hardly gonna bleat cos some guy's forehead touched his face.

Last edited:
Question: what's Howard Webb doing in this picture? Given that it's a full FOUR SECONDS after Meyler's initial push on Pardew?

Pardew-Meyler.jpg

Season 2013-14

GAMES: 31
Yellow: 406
Red: 1
Advantages that lead to goal : 99

Last edited:
Howard had, by this point, already moved from his original position (further back). He doesn't want to step in straight away as it could fire up the situation. He was there within a split second after the butt.

Pardew had every right to be standing there and had no need to move out of the way, whatever commonsense might dictate

I can see where you're coming from, and yes, he has every right to stand in the technical area, but fir me, the fact that he moved out of the way for the ball to pass, but stepped back in the way of the player was provocative to say the least. Player running in sees Pardew move so keeps running perhaps?

Total overreaction from a numpty who appears to love the spotlight.

He is someone who could do with some perspective. It's a football match, a professional game and it matters on many different levels including financially granted, but still a football match.

There could be no outcome that would benefit his team from the initial dummy/block or the following forehead to face.

Perspective. All I am saying.

You think that's why he facepushed Meyler? So he could get some press? ;-)
Not what I said at all Frank.

Pardew is not shy of the publicity.

By the way, is 'Facepush' a word now? I've heard it around lots pf places. Pushing someone with your face? It was a headbutt, not a hard one, but it was a headbutt.

Is 'facepush' a word now? I've heard it around lots of places. Pushing someone with your face? It was a headbutt, not a hard one, but it was a headbutt.

Oh. I hadn't heard it before. Just popped in my head and I thought, hey, that's good. Bit sad that I didn't actually make it up.

Actually, maybe 'forehead shove' is more accurate. Though not as catchy.

'Headpush'?

Goats butt. A goat that butted like that would get laughed out of the herd. ;)

Was interesting, this came up with the guest speaker at my local RA meeting last night. He is on a number of committees including discipline and his personal view was Newcastle have nothing to play for this year, therefore best thing to do it give him a stadium ban for the first 4 games of next season, however this would never happen!

He did call a 7 or so game ban though as a likely outcome.

Back