A&H

Ajax Bayern

The Referee Store
Look at the Ajax player before Lewandowski had even started his run-up, interesting to see what would've happened had he missed. Both pens had quite bad encroachment...1544659567786.png

One red card each side. One penalty each side. All spot on.

Also nice to see SFP punished by red card instead of yellow in this champions league round for a change.

Ajax player WELL offside for the last gasp equaliser...
The "deliberate save" by the defender was handling (arm was well outside the body, put there before the shot was taken -- and this is what UEFA and FIFA teach and practice, so don't bother arguing that you wouldn't call it handling), so that becomes a "deliberate play" under the Laws... and thus, not an offside offence.

The "deliberate save" by the defender was handling (arm was well outside the body, put there before the shot was taken -- and this is what UEFA and FIFA teach and practice, so don't bother arguing that you wouldn't call it handling), so that becomes a "deliberate play" under the Laws... and thus, not an offside offence.
I haven't seen a clear replay, looked a deflection on first viewing. I have trouble with what you're saying, a deliberate play using the hands is punished by a DFK or PK. You cannot deliberately handle the ball within the laws of the game. It was either a deflection or a pen from what you're telling me.

I haven't seen a clear replay, looked a deflection on first viewing. I have trouble with what you're saying, a deliberate play using the hands is punished by a DFK or PK. You cannot deliberately handle the ball within the laws of the game. It was either a deflection or a pen from what you're telling me.
Played
Action by a player which makes contact with the ball

Where does it say that you cant consider the ball as played with the hand? I have not seen any of the games last night but if a player commits a deliberate handball offence then by default he has deliberately played the ball. Therefore any offside is reset and we have that thing called "advantage" so does not neccessarily have to be punished by DFK.

Look at the Ajax player before Lewandowski had even started his run-up, interesting to see what would've happened had he missed. Both pens had quite bad encroachment...View attachment 2785
Nothing would have happened. PA encroachment has gone the way of the goalkeeper 6 second rule. Heck the Ajax player could have saved the goal himself and nothing would happen the way things are going. Seen players level with the kicker quite often.

But what about the referee's position? Odd one. Although if he's not going to penalise encroachment he probably looks less stupid on this side of the ball...... (commenting on how often encroaching players have run past the referee with no retake)

Reactions: JH
You with encroachment would be down to the assistant, would make it all a lot easier especially when you have another assistant behind the goal.

The defender has definately touched the ball before that last goal and attacker who touched it was clearly in an offside position. Options here are:

1. Not deliberate play by defender. This means a deflection and offside should have been called.

2. Deliberate play by defender:
2.a. deliberate handball. I don't see any decent referee playing advantage for it. There is still a fair bit of work to do and advice is unless it's rolling in or a very simple tap in, give the penalty. The ref did not signal advantage either. Given the defender put his hands (and arms) behind his back as well, I am ruling this option out.

2.b. not deliberate handball. This would make the touch a save and that means the attacker should have been called for offside.

Whichever way I look at this, it looks like an error by the third team

Played
Action by a player which makes contact with the ball

Where does it say that you cant consider the ball as played with the hand? I have not seen any of the games last night but if a player commits a deliberate handball offence then by default he has deliberately played the ball. Therefore any offside is reset and we have that thing called "advantage" so does not neccessarily have to be punished by DFK.
You're agreeing that you cannot deliberately play the ball with the hand. The referee did not play advantage, therefore it should've been disallowed for offside.

You're agreeing that you cannot deliberately play the ball with the hand. The referee did not play advantage, therefore it should've been disallowed for offside.
No I am not.

The definition of played is as above action by a player which makes contact with the ball.

It does not specify what part of the body contact has to be made... which was my over riding point.

Shocking challenge! Was the Ajax play left with scratches or did it rub off with a sponge? 😬

Last edited:
No I am not.

The definition of played is as above action by a player which makes contact with the ball.

It does not specify what part of the body contact has to be made... which was my over riding point.
You went on to admit that playing the ball deliberately with the arm would be an offence.
You're saying offside is reset from a DHB, I haven't debated that point.
The referee did not play advantage therefore he did not see a handball offence.

There's 3 options here (if it hit an arm, I haven't seen a good replay):
1. DHB - penalty (ref didn't give it)
2. DHB - advantage and no offside (ref didn't signal advantage)
3. Deflection - offside

Think I remember an FAQ saying that deliberate handball by an outfield player wasn’t considered a save for the purposes of offside.

Look at the Ajax player before Lewandowski had even started his run-up, interesting to see what would've happened had he missed. Both pens had quite bad encroachment...View attachment 2785

Look at the referee's position, he has no intention of penalising any encroachment as he can't possibly see it. He can't see both the ball and the players over his right shoulder (who haven't encroached but could).

Back