A&H

Aint Noting going on but the Rent

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
Just noticed Shrewsbury guy about to take a corner, was looking at paper/note, before crossing for a goal !
I mind in the summer Pickford said he had the pen kickers routine on a water bottle,
Are we ok with either/both??

The Referee Store
Have you ever reffed a game where before a player takes a corner he reaches into his sock for instructions?

View attachment 2964
Billy Sharp reached into his pocket for something today!!
Well played SF!!

Don't see much of Mr Socko these days!!

Just noticed Shrewsbury guy about to take a corner, was looking at paper/note, before crossing for a goal !
I mind in the summer Pickford said he had the pen kickers routine on a water bottle,
Are we ok with either/both??
What do you mean by PK routine?

I'm not comfortable with players pulling out tactical instructions written on paper during the game....

Well played SF!!

Don't see much of Mr Socko these days!!

What do you mean by PK routine?

I'm not comfortable with players pulling out tactical instructions written on paper during the game....

Pickford had written on his water bottle which way each player tends to place their kicks during England penalty shoot out in World Cup.

Pickford had written on his water bottle which way each player tends to place their kicks during England penalty shoot out in World Cup.
oh wow....yeah, that just seems hugely contrary to the spirit of the game for me. Same as the notes.
Potentially cautionable - I'd be disallowing it either way.

I dont suppose there is anything to say a player cant reach into his sock and see where to hit the corner/free kick, is it any diff to the raised hand or any other tactic the team have
I guess ifit becomes common place someone will make a rulimg on it

I dont suppose there is anything to say a player cant reach into his sock and see where to hit the corner/free kick, is it any diff to the raised hand or any other tactic the team have
I guess ifit becomes common place someone will make a rulimg on it
Nothing to say he can either. The vagueness of the laws allows us to use our understanding of the laws to make rulings on unusual cases.
And yes, it's completely different

Nothing to say he can either. The vagueness of the laws allows us to use our understanding of the laws to make rulings on unusual cases.
And yes, it's completely different

Am not sure, Attackers heading into box for set piece, designated attacker raises hand and shouts "back post", which is predetermined tactic for near post short ball. (Or whatever the tactic is)
Not really any diff to guy reminding himself of the tactic for the 4th corner?
Are we really going to approach note guy before he takes the corner and take his paper off him?
Dressing room check to ask that no notes be taken out onto the park?
Caution?
Am not committing either way on this yet btw!
Just saying, what are we trying to enforce here, is there a punishment, is it actually wrong in the laws for him to read a note before taking a corner?
Am not sure......you could easy have a sub warming up giving the same instructions..

Last edited:
Am not sure, Attackers heading into box for set piece, designated attacker raises hand and shouts "back post", which is predetermined tactic for near post short ball. (Or whatever the tactic is)
Not really any diff to guy reminding himself of the tactic for the 4th corner?
Are we really going to approach note guy before he takes the corner and take his paper off him?
Dressing room check to ask that no notes be taken out onto the park?
Caution?
Am not committing either way on this yet btw!
Just saying, what are we trying to enforce here, is there a punishment, is it actually wrong in the laws for him to read a note before taking a corner?
Am not sure......you could easy have a sub warming up giving the same instructions..
I think actually bringing written tactical instructions is quite different, yes.

If he can't remember the instructions then that's his problem.

We don't need to be talking about it in the dressing room.

As for a caution.....I think it's cautionable, but you could get away with just telling the player to get rid of it.

Though the penalty details on the water bottle....that's much worse than the list of corner players in the shinpad, and I'd be leaning more towards a card for that one.

Just seems to me that bringing written instructions onto the field is against the spirit of the game. Don't forget, this is a sport where bench officials aren't allowed to use technology for tactical purposes - including a mobile phone to somebody else on the field conveying observations and instructions. While not the same, I think it gives us an indication of the spirit of the game anyway

Don't forget, this is a sport where bench officials aren't allowed to use technology for tactical purposes - including a mobile phone to somebody else on the field conveying observations and instructions. While not the same, I think it gives us an indication of the spirit of the game anyway
Except from this season they can, the restriction was lifted by IFAB as they realised they have no method of controlling it. The only thing they are not permitted to do is use the technology to show match officials or influence them about decisions.
“LOTG said:
The use of any form of electronic communication by team officials is permitted where it directly relates to player welfare or safety or for tactical/coaching reasons but only small, mobile, hand-held equipment (e.g. microphone, headphone, ear-piece, mobilephone/ smartphone, smartwatch, tablet, laptop) may be used.

Coaches are allowed to give instructions to their players during a game. That being so, I don't see that the medium used to convey the instructions makes any appreciable difference in principle.

For what it's worth, the note given to the Shrewsbury player had nothing to do with the taking of the corner, according to the manager, it was to do with a realignment of the team formation following a couple of substitutions.

Reactions: one
The physios will come on with messages and I structions from the manager. Subs will pass on messages whilst pretending to warm up. The full back closest to the dugouts will be constantly relaying messages, whether that be verbal or on a note if it's to a non English speaking player. It cant be controlled. What we can control as officials is ensuring that it's not used to waste time, delay the restart etc

The only way to stop it completely would be to go like tennis and have no communication between coaches and players during the game, but this is not reasonable in a team sport like football.

Just seems to me that bringing written instructions onto the field is against the spirit of the game.
I just don't see that as being so. As I mentioned, I don't see any real difference in the principle (or the spirit) of giving a player instructions by calling them out to him. The instructions are the same either way and the coach is allowed to give them, as far as I know. As an example, the coach is allowed to tell his players, "Switch to three at the back, move so-and-so to midfield," and whether he does that by telling the player nearest to him who then passes it on, or giving a note to someone who then passes on the instruction, I don't see the issue with it.

The only way to stop it completely would be to go like tennis and have no communication between coaches and players during the game, but this is not reasonable in a team sport like football.
And it still happens in tennis anyway...

Why would you want communication between coach/manager and player to stop? Football is a team sport unlike tennis.

Thinking back, I can recall numerous televised incidents of players being given notes and I don't recall it having been raised as an issue before. One that sticks in the memory was the one where the player, after reading the note, proceeded to eat it.

Back