A&H

after two assessments my promotion season is blown

I doubt they would last very long on my Supply League but then again, there is strict enforcement of ground grading which requires a higher standard of facilities because of the level of the league.

Funnily enough, assuming you're talking about the WYAFL, it was on that league. Facilities were away from the pitch with only dugouts and trees for cover.

The Referee Store
As a recent level 7-6 candidate, I'm struggling to come up with many grounds I've refereed at where covered stands are available...suffice to say, I don't need a second hand to count them!

Don't take games at grounds where there's no cover and it's likely to rain is the only solution. As far as protecting yourself against the cold, make sure you wear a coat with deep pockets and put some pocket warmers in your pockets. Alternatively you could use Tiger Balm on the inside of your wrist but it does make you smell a bit lol.

I'm about to start experimenting using Dragon software which is a voice to text system that works on most operating systems. I'm going to trial it on a game I just go to watch to see if it can produce notes like I have when I am assessing. If it works, I'll just pop in the headphones and dictate my way through a game, then at half time and full time I'll draft the notes into a feedback/de-brief document.

That's the technique used by the FL observers for FL referees except they use iPads.

Edited to say how impressed I am that you are out assessing at age 21. I found my whole game improved massively once I began assessing as I began recognising my own areas of development much more quickly.

Thanks mate! Main reason I did the course (as well as coaching qualification) was to try and appreciate the mind of the assessor and get a feel for what they want. Can't commit myself to being a very active assessor due to supply/contrib commitments but was nice to get one under my belt and hope to do more when commitments allow.

Only doing the younger lads (whom I know fairly well) but I'm hoping it helps them having someone closer in age who understands some of the unique challenges of being younger than the guys playing. Also really trying to pride myself on recognising proactive rather than reactive refereeing, something which has sometimes frustrated me with the assessing world!!

Thanks mate! Main reason I did the course (as well as coaching qualification) was to try and appreciate the mind of the assessor and get a feel for what they want. Can't commit myself to being a very active assessor due to supply/contrib commitments but was nice to get one under my belt and hope to do more when commitments allow.

Only doing the younger lads (whom I know fairly well) but I'm hoping it helps them having someone closer in age who understands some of the unique challenges of being younger than the guys playing. Also really trying to pride myself on recognising proactive rather than reactive refereeing, something which has sometimes frustrated me with the assessing world!!

Don't really know where to start with statement!

Familiarity is not generally a good thing when it comes to assessments, I try to stay away from colleagues that I know well....what happens when they have a shocker and you're responsible for the assessment that costs them their promotion?

The rest of it sounds like you are out to prove a point to all the other assessors....or have some serious sour grapes over things that you have been picked up on in the past!

No, @Brian Hamilton does NCEL.

The Yorkshire Pool Assessors (which includes WYAFL) tend to assess in rain , but not really cold / horrible conditions. Only fair, we are old men......
The NCEL ground grading because it is step 5/6 means you have a stand to shelter in and turnstiles at virtually every ground. The WYAFL doesn't have the same standards but is improving slowly. It does mean wet days from time to time and that means soggy notes. I did a few years of 7-6 and 6-5 hiding behind trees for shelter (not camouflage I must emphasise).

I'm very grateful for the facilities on the NCEL, Evostik and Vanarama

brian the write in the rain notebooks you can buy are very good ,i gave one to my colleague who writes loads on a game and he was very impressed

brian the write in the rain notebooks you can buy are very good ,i gave one to my colleague who writes loads on a game and he was very impressed
I have an assessors "Filofax-style" zip up folder, so pages tend not to get too wet these days :)

Back