A&H

Advice

mullins_kieran

Level 7 Referee
Hi all, I am about to do my first refereeing games in the middle and on the line. Does anyone have any advice that could help me?

The Referee Store
That's a really big question and reading all of the posts on the forum wouldn't cover it all!

I reckon just three things to start.

1. Be as prepared as you can be. Make sure you have all your kit, watches, pencils, etc. and are comfortable.
2. Trust in yourself to know the laws and try and remain calm. The players expect you to be in control, so try and do that, but avoid being officious (which is tempting sometimes, especially if you're nervous).
3. Don't give yourself too hard a time. You're learning, and like anything the learning curve is particularly steep at the start. After each game, focus on one thing you'll try and do better next time.

Oh, and one other thing - enjoy it! Best feeling in the world when it's going well!

Good luck!

That's a really big question and reading all of the posts on the forum wouldn't cover it all!

I reckon just three things to start.

1. Be as prepared as you can be. Make sure you have all your kit, watches, pencils, etc. and are comfortable.
2. Trust in yourself to know the laws and try and remain calm. The players expect you to be in control, so try and do that, but avoid being officious (which is tempting sometimes, especially if you're nervous).
3. Don't give yourself too hard a time. You're learning, and like anything the learning curve is particularly steep at the start. After each game, focus on one thing you'll try and do better next time.

Oh, and one other thing - enjoy it! Best feeling in the world when it's going well!

Good luck!
Thank you! I've been feeling quite nervous past couple of days. I'll try to keep them in mind!

Be confident. If in doubt, be confident. If not sure, be confident. If you are not confident to be confident, pretend to be confident.

It's all to do with your body language and your voice and the tone of your whistle. Make sure everyone on and around the ground can hear your whistle.

Don't mistake this advise for being c0cky or arrogant.

Confidence is a big thing as you start out
There are so many things you need to be confident in doing when you start out

Be Confident in your knowledge of the laws of the game
and the big one for me when I started out almost 20 years ago
Be confident that the decision you made was the right one

Don't forget to familiarise yourself with admin matters beforehand ...
  • Know where you're going and who to report to when you get there.
  • What documents/paperwork are expected and what do you have to do with them.
  • Match duration.
  • Competition rules eg number and frequency of substitutions.
  • If a cup competition what happens in the event of a draw - extra time and/or penalties?
  • Match fee payment protocol.
For the game itself make sure you're focussed and concentrate from the first to last whistle.

Good luck

That's still the big one for me, over 20 years later! Second-guessing yourself is incredibly unhelpful when refereeing - I have to tell myself regularly just to make the decision and move on.
That is fair and valid comment, Martiju
Don't know about anyone else, If I find myself second guessing, am letting play go

Oh I make the decision quickly enough, I just have to resist replaying it in my mind and questioning whether it was the right one, especially if there's a strong reaction. I know enough (and have seen enough videos of my games) to know I'm getting it right much more often than not (even when there's huge disagreement), but in the heat of the moment I can still get a little caught up in what's happened, rather than what is happening if I'm not careful.

Oh I make the decision quickly enough, I just have to resist replaying it in my mind and questioning whether it was the right one, especially if there's a strong reaction. I know enough (and have seen enough videos of my games) to know I'm getting it right much more often than not (even when there's huge disagreement), but in the heat of the moment I can still get a little caught up in what's happened, rather than what is happening if I'm not careful.
That is where the confidence comes in. Make what you believe to be the right decision and get on with the game
in my experience, if players see a hesitant referee when it come to decision making, they will play on the fact that the referee has seen to be hesitant

Don't tell anyone before the game that it is your first game (or one of your first few games). Much more likely someone will take advantage than make allowances !

If it goes OK, you can tell them afterwards. And by the way, going OK Is not everyone agreeing with all your decisions. That never happens - football at every level is a game of grey areas and opinions !

When I started a few months ago, the best advice I got was to be happy if you got 80% of your decisions (or non decisions) correct.
I would also encourage new referees to be human - try have a chat with the group at the start - ask how their season is going. I also explain to them what kind of referee I am - particularly as I am lenient with throw ins but have no time for moaning and complaining at decisions as it distracts me and causes me to make mistakes. I tell them I am quite happy to explain any decision as long as it doesn't interfere with the game.

Realize that there are so many edge cases and incidents that might happen once a month/year and you need to know how to handle it. Sometime that caught me out in the past - drop ball to the keeper - can they pick it up? (Yes). There will be plenty like this, but play the spirit of the game. I've changed my mind in a decision a couple of times after "reading the players" (my games don't have linesmen and are U12-U18 with 3 games back to back most Saturdays, so can be very tough). I often tell players who are appealing for something that I did not see what they saw and I can only call what I see (that could be a nick off a defender for a corner, or an off the ball push between players behind me).
Most importantly though - I knew the style of referee I wanted to be.

I'd also reiterate the confidence points from other posters. Absolutely be confident, even if you are not. Don't try explain a decision but say what you saw if needed.

Back