A&H

Advice on RC form (player loses it and throws about 1000 punches)

Yeah I'm not arguing about the decision itself, just saying that the refs on the pitch aren't responsible for turned calls after review

The Referee Store
Really nasty incidence. Can't recall violence on this scale in 8 years of refereeing.
Would any of you add/remove anything to this?

"In the 40 minute of the match, after being fouled, the above named player aimed several punches at the player who fouled him, connecting at least once.
The player then aimed several punches at a second ******* player who had come to remonstrate with him, again connecting at least once. The player was restrained by players but broke free to swing several more punches at the second ******** player.
I called the player over but before he got within 10 yards of me he ran back to the second ******* player to swing several more punches at him.
The player then walked off and left the vicinity of the field of play.
The player was not shown a card nor asked for his name.
I was given the name by the ********** captain and informed him the player had been sent off for violent conduct.
Play was restarted with a ********* free kick."

Might be too late, but wherever you have written "punch" or "punches", preface it with "violent".

A quick search for the player on county's suspension list suggests he has received a three match ban..... A THREE MATCH BAN!
The same as the lad he punched several times who returned one punch back!!!
Now before I lose my rag, is there any chance this is provisional whilst he responds to a greater charge?

Maybe it's just the "automatic" judgement for VC before audition

A quick search for the player on county's suspension list suggests he has received a three match ban..... A THREE MATCH BAN!
The same as the lad he punched several times who returned one punch back!!!
Now before I lose my rag, is there any chance this is provisional whilst he responds to a greater charge?

Yes, I think that's exactly what this is. I think it needs a hearing to impose greater than standard punishments.

Well, the player got an extra 3 matches and an extra £40 fine on top of a standard VC fine and suspension.

Guess who I'm running a line for in the semi of the same competition!
Will struggle to not mention this to the ref whislt we make small talk before the match.
Would be unfair to do so though.

Reactions: SM
shouldn't you be upbraiding deusex for reviving a dead thread rather than liking it, monkey ;)

O, MI, where are you now?

The LOTG state that a player is 'sent from the field of play AND shown the red card'. The 2 are clearly separate but connected events.

If the law wasn't written this way then if the referee forgets his card or loses the card during the match (or it's a club referee who doesn't have cards), then player couldn't be cautioned/sent off. Which is absurd. So the LOTG takes a common sense approach. Not physically having a card won't stop you taking action.

Problem is, neither happened in the OP. The player wasn't sent from the field of play nor was he shown the card. That team would have had the right to replace him, IMO.

That makes this an incident report and you're asking the FA to take action on an incident you didn't take action on.

In the future, if this sort of thing happens, show the red card to the player's back as he's walking off.

I agree with @SM on this one. A month doesn't strike me as "dead", especially when the comment is utterly relevant and "completes" the story.

Problem is, neither happened in the OP. The player wasn't sent from the field of play nor was he shown the card. That team would have had the right to replace him, IMO.

That makes this an incident report and you're asking the FA to take action on an incident you didn't take action on.

In the future, if this sort of thing happens, show the red card to the player's back as he's walking off.

I would have laughed at the team had they tried to replace him. I believe my words to the captain were: "obviously, he has been sent off".
As for chasing after a player that has shown this level of violence to show his back a red card.... you must be joking.

Reactions: SM
Who said anything about chasing the player? I said show it to his back. Show it as he's walking off.

That's something you were supposed to do, which you can keep in mind for the future.

Who said anything about chasing the player? I said show it to his back. Show it as he's walking off.

That's something you were supposed to do, which you can keep in mind for the future.

"The red card is used to communicate that a player, substitute or substituted
player has been sent off" - pg 38 LOTG

I'd say the player was now 40 yards away with approximately 30 individuals in between him and me. If you think a red card (which isn't required in law) would have helped everyone know the player had been sent off then we'll have to disagree.
The player is sent off when the referee decides he's been sent off, a lack of card shown changes nothing.
Whilst certainly advisable, do the laws state I have to tell a player he has been cautioned/sent off?

No. Perfect example is the GK that got into a fight with spectators post-match a couple of weeks back.

No red card shown. No word to the player. Yet... the player was sent off according to the match report.

You don't need to inform the player, but at a minimum, inform both captains (preferably together so one can't claim they didn't know).

The red card doesn't just communicate to the player, but everybody at the field.

The only acceptable reasons for not showing the card are

- you don't have it with you
-you seriously think you're going to get punched if you show it (and presumably, the match is either already over or you're abandoning)

Aside from that, the LOTG require the card to be displayed every time a player is sent off.

Besides, I think you're inviting the possibility of the player getting off on appeal - all you need is him to argue to some idiot appeals board that no red card means he wasn't sent and to lie about the incident and he'll play next week. Given the stupidity and ignorance I've heard coming out of appeals boards it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Back