A&H

Advice on RC form (player loses it and throws about 1000 punches)

deusex

RefChat Addict
Really nasty incidence. Can't recall violence on this scale in 8 years of refereeing.
Would any of you add/remove anything to this?

"In the 40 minute of the match, after being fouled, the above named player aimed several punches at the player who fouled him, connecting at least once.
The player then aimed several punches at a second ******* player who had come to remonstrate with him, again connecting at least once. The player was restrained by players but broke free to swing several more punches at the second ******** player.
I called the player over but before he got within 10 yards of me he ran back to the second ******* player to swing several more punches at him.
The player then walked off and left the vicinity of the field of play.
The player was not shown a card nor asked for his name.
I was given the name by the ********** captain and informed him the player had been sent off for violent conduct.
Play was restarted with a ********* free kick."

The Referee Store
Man alive, sounds a little bonkers.

Just throw your red card at him as he walks off while shouting "and your momma!" :)

I might mention how far I was from the incident and whether I had a clear unobstructed view or not. I like to put that in my reports.

The player was not shown a card nor asked for his name??:(
Captain provided the name as player too busy being violent then leaving the vicinity. Doesn't sound like he was in the mood for a chat. Clearly sent off as well. All seems clear and factual to me.

I thought the offending player should be given RC before he left the FOP.

Not a lot you can do if he stomps off. Trying to stop him to administer the card is asking for ref focussed issues/potential for violence.

Everyone knows he has been sent off. Question is whether the violence required an abandonment or not and whether the police should be called?

Administer the card so that everyone sees he has been sent not merely informing the captain or assuming everybody knows. Like the infamous "invincible yellow card" by referee Peter Walton. Hahahaha;):D

Administer the card so that everyone sees he has been sent not merely informing the captain or assuming everybody knows. Like the infamous "invincible yellow card" by referee Peter Walton. Hahahaha;):D

You don't actually have to visually show a card what so ever. Not for dismissals nor for cautions.

The red card is used to communicate that a player, substitute or substituted player has been sent off

I don't know what happens in your local leagues but I am sure of what is done at pro level.

I don't know what happens in your local leagues but I am sure of what is done at pro level.

The exact same. If there referee cautions a player by telling the player and recording it, the card doesn't have to be shown. It has happened in the EPL a few times where refs haven't got their cards and they just verbally caution player. Makes no difference. The cards are a visual aid.

The red card is used to communicate that a player, substitute or substituted player has been sent off

Yeah is used to communicate, like the whistle except for kick off and penalty.
The law says when you can or you can't show a card but never says that there is a situation when you are obligated to.
You are perfectly allowed to say "Stop here, free kick for Blues, number 5 come see me, you're cautioned"

Just come over to a player and tell him "you are red carded" without visually showing, I don't think he will leave the FOP. It happened to Peter Walton in EPL. It will be fun to see a referee doing that.

Yeah is used to communicate, like the whistle except for kick off and penalty.
The law says when you can or you can't show a card but never says that there is a situation when you are obligated to.
You are perfectly allowed to say "Stop here, free kick for Blues, number 5 come see me, you're cautioned"
Where is it in the LOTG? I am afraid you are talking about U-10 matches. I am talking of professional matches.

Worrying when a FIFA ref doesn't know that a card doesn't have to be shown for a caution or sending off to be valid, imho
i THINK YOU ARE MISTAKEN. Tell me where this is written in the LOTG?

You said "The law says blah blah blah ......? which law?

LOTG on the fifa website, never says that you HAVE TO show a yellow card for the caution to be valid
LOTG are very clear when something is mendatory, for example you HAVE TO blow the whistle for a penalty to be taken.

Back