A&H

Advice appreciated!

dylanbailey4444

Level 5 Referee
I had 2 games today- one u14’s and one u15’s (I play u16’s myself) the first one was the ‘worst’. 2 red cards and 3 yellows (including the second yellow card- one was straight red, one was second yellow- both for the same team) The first red card was a denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity (in my opinion)- the striker was at an angle on the very edge of the box and then was wiped out- no ball. So I gave a free kick and sent the player off immediately. Some players seemed confused- coaches very angry- some players understood. He was not the last man, but the striker was through on goal. I know this striker too (I was doing this as a club referee, but refereed in the full referee kit etc to avoid being called biased) and I know the striker was about to shoot- he always does form that position- but my point is that he was through on goal on the left hand side of the edge of the box and had a clear shot at goal, other defenders on the edge/ middle of the box. I explained to the defenders why I gave red and some of them said that that was fair enough. A second player sent off for a second yellow card. Everyone accepted that. There was a ‘fight’ with a few minutes to go- I had literally sent their player off then ran over to the halfway line to deal with this commotion. No cards, didn’t see too much expect everyone pushing so got the captains in and had a talk with them. Now- the managers have agreed to put through to the FA that the first red (DOGSO) as a yellow. As a club referee, I don’t have as much influence over this- especially as one of the clubs is one I coach and the coaches were telling me that he didn’t think it was a red. Parents on the side- some agreed red some thought yellow. The manager whose team got red twice said that it was a definite free kick and a yellow. Red card is harsh. The coach who I work with (home team) said that if the striker had gone into the penalty area, it would have been a red if brought down.
Any general comments? Any more information needed? Would be really nice to get this done. I’m still waiting to complete my face to face course- done safeguarding and online stuff though. Thank you!

The Referee Store
I had 2 games today- one u14’s and one u15’s (I play u16’s myself) the first one was the ‘worst’. 2 red cards and 3 yellows (including the second yellow card- one was straight red, one was second yellow- both for the same team) The first red card was a denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity (in my opinion)- the striker was at an angle on the very edge of the box and then was wiped out- no ball. So I gave a free kick and sent the player off immediately. Some players seemed confused- coaches very angry- some players understood. He was not the last man, but the striker was through on goal. I know this striker too (I was doing this as a club referee, but refereed in the full referee kit etc to avoid being called biased) and I know the striker was about to shoot- he always does form that position- but my point is that he was through on goal on the left hand side of the edge of the box and had a clear shot at goal, other defenders on the edge/ middle of the box. I explained to the defenders why I gave red and some of them said that that was fair enough. A second player sent off for a second yellow card. Everyone accepted that. There was a ‘fight’ with a few minutes to go- I had literally sent their player off then ran over to the halfway line to deal with this commotion. No cards, didn’t see too much expect everyone pushing so got the captains in and had a talk with them. Now- the managers have agreed to put through to the FA that the first red (DOGSO) as a yellow. As a club referee, I don’t have as much influence over this- especially as one of the clubs is one I coach and the coaches were telling me that he didn’t think it was a red. Parents on the side- some agreed red some thought yellow. The manager whose team got red twice said that it was a definite free kick and a yellow. Red card is harsh. The coach who I work with (home team) said that if the striker had gone into the penalty area, it would have been a red if brought down.
Any general comments? Any more information needed? Would be really nice to get this done. I’m still waiting to complete my face to face course- done safeguarding and online stuff though. Thank you!
Sounds like you're tuned into the noise. Tune into your own station

I think its a classic 'had to be there' but I can certainly see how it could be a red.

Big fan of the comments above, everyone in football will always have an opinion. Sometimes they're useful, often they're not.
Stick to your guns and own your decision... Sounds like you made the right decision for what you saw.

You're listening to everyone around you and absorbing what they're saying. Most of it will be utter nonsense and will distract you from your next decision
This, for instance:
The manager whose team got red twice said that it was a definite free kick and a yellow. Red card is harsh. The coach who I work with (home team) said that if the striker had gone into the penalty area, it would have been a red if brought down.
To be honest, the best thing you can do is complete your course asap then take to the field with the confidence that you - almost certainly - know the laws better than anyone else there.

Now- the managers have agreed to put through to the FA that the first red (DOGSO) as a yellow. As a club referee, I don’t have as much influence over this-
It’s early Monday morning and my heads not in it so maybe I’ve missing something obvious, but why can’t you put the report in yourself. Isn’t it down to the ref to report it?

I thought a non-qualified referee has the power to send in cards as much as a qualified referee.
They do. They have full. Powers of a match official.

I think the main problem is there, at least there doesnt appear to be, isn't a procedure on how they do this.

I think the main problem is there, at least there doesnt appear to be, isn't a procedure on how they do this.
In the absence of access to the usual reporting channels, the club referee should call or e-mail the Disciplinary Manager at the County FA please.

Not sure if the OP actually has access to Whole Game in order to do it (?)

I'd guess not ....

It’s early Monday morning and my heads not in it so maybe I’ve missing something obvious, but why can’t you put the report in yourself. Isn’t it down to the ref to report it?
In my area, whenever I’ve club refereed, the mangers seem to have put the scores through to the FA and what have you.

The managers will put through a match report - goals scored, referee's mark etc - but the referee should report any discipline themselves. U14 / U15 games are shown on FA Whole Game, and that's where this should be reported. Not reporting cards - especially red ones - could lead to you being suspended by the FA, so you really don't want that.

If you don't have access to Whole Game then I'd email your Disciplinary Officer at the County FA and let them know the circumstances. Whether the clubs agree or not, if you consider the challenge to be a DOGSO then that's what it was and it's not up to them to downgrade it for you.

Always follow the law, DOGSO with no attempt to play at the ball - red straight away, especiallt at under 14s, they know what they are doing. Managers put the scores into full time in my area not the referees, in terms of the managers agreeing to put it as a yellow - thats not right. I was going to say you should put it through as a red and in your report explain what the managers agreed on but as your not qualified and dont have access to WGS yet, your kind of stuck. Your best option is too put a report through to the FA and the league. I had an U15s game as a club official but was qualified (am also u16 but dont play anymore) where had to abandon following a mass confrontation. i sent off a report to the league and my RDO, who sent me a witness report for an investigation, so if an investigation is carried out then i would expect that.

i am probably not making sense but thats what i have to say

Back