A&H

Academy football

The biggest team they've played against with me is probably Oldham U12's v Blackpool U12's

The Referee Store
They didn't! Lost 5-3!

The Blackpool players were a little ****y, thinking they were better because Blackpool are a higher placed team in the FL, and they were a bit surprised and shocked when Oldham won. Another good thing about academy football; they are always very attacking whatever the score, so you can have matches that end 9-8, 6-7 etc, which are quite enjoyable because the teams heads don't go down whatever the score!

for me, the best part has always been the mentoring and I'm sure those lucky enough to experience that would agree!

Mentioned situation re academy games / no cards to Mark Ives, Head of Discipline at the F.A. at our R.A. meet tonight

His words, 'It simply isn't on'

Letter going out to league clubs telling them that refs should caution where appropriate. Not because of my question i hasten to add.

So how does one go about getting onto an academy league or is it a case of the best referees being selected

I just contacted burton albion and they said they are short of refs so I don't know if other academies are the same but I found it all rather easy to get involved in

Really enjoyed it thanks, two pretty even sides, one lad with a bit of an attitude from Lincoln but a quiet word later that soon disappeared

I just contacted burton albion and they said they are short of refs so I don't know if other academies are the same but I found it all rather easy to get involved in

Do they play Saturday mornings? Can't do Sundays so that would rule me out

Do they play Saturday mornings? Can't do Sundays so that would rule me out

Most academies up to U16 play Sunday mornings, I believe. For us, referees on the referee's academy get allocated the games on a monthly basis with newly qualified refs doing the 7 a side u9/u10 academy games.

Burton play on a Sunday and the whole process is a bit casual but I like it, you give them your availability for the following month then they let you know which weekends they want you, when you turn up on the day you choose which game you want to do

You choose which game? So how does that work? I do find it is relaxed at quite a few academies, which I like. For example, I usually have a chat with staff at the academy, but no ones pushing you to go and get on your pitch. The co-ordinator always tells me when I arrive and in the changing rooms 'They'll be ready for whenever you want to go out'.

They email the refs they want the week before and when you get there they tell you which games are on and if you're first there you get first choice

Ah right ok. So if you get there earlier then you get a better game?

You just get to choose which age group, like on Sunday I got there first and had the choice between under 9's, 11's, 13's or 15/16's combined

Ah sounds good! What did you choose? Wish mine was the same!

Back