A&H

Abandoned

In England your biggest issue, particularly winter months, is light.. from Nov - Feb its pretty much going dark not long after full time so if you get a bad injury there's not much you can do but abandon as there wont be enough light left to resume play and complete the game.

The Referee Store
You need to think about the safety and welfare of the players. If they are stood around for ages and it is cold they are risking injury once you restart. Plus, as Lincs has said, quite often players from neither team want to restart if it is an especially bad injury.

You need to think about the safety and welfare of the players. If they are stood around for ages and it is cold they are risking injury once you restart. Plus, as Lincs has said, quite often players from neither team want to restart if it is an especially bad injury.
Been in a few where there have been bad injuries and I cannot remember one player ever saying to me that I should abandon a game, I'm not saying its right or wrong to abandon, just my experience! of over 10 years!!

Been in a few where there have been bad injuries and I cannot remember one player ever saying to me that I should abandon a game, I'm not saying its right or wrong to abandon, just my experience! of over 10 years!!

All depends on the circumstances. I was refereeing one where players were visibly upset and some were even openly in tears. No one wanted to restart, me included, so I abandoned it and didn't get a single complaint.

Back