A&H

Abandoned

dbo5ton

Level 4 Referee
Chaps

Hope you are all well. After some advice. 72 minute team a winning 8-0

Fair challenge on touchline and player screams in pain. He knee is properly out of place. Ambulance is called. To be told it’s a 15-20 minute response. So potentially 45 mins with treatment.
I pull both captains and managers team a want to continue after treatment to try and increase goal difference. Team b (injured party) are shaken up and obviously sick of the hammering.

I call the game off as we can’t do anything until treatment (turns out was 50 mins after incident)

I have logged as abandoned on wgs and informed fixtures secretary. Anything else or anything others would have done different.

The Referee Store
Sounds right to me. Realistically the result will stand given how long had been played and the score at the time.
The league rules will specify the minimum length of a match. Default is normally 60 mins, so like @RustyRef says, the result will probably stand.

Reactions: one
The league rules also specify if you are to 'abandon' the game or 'suspend' it. Slight administrative technicality. I have been asked to resubmit a report changing the word so that they cam play the remaining 12 minutes on a different night.

The league rules also specify if you are to 'abandon' the game or 'suspend' it. Slight administrative technicality. I have been asked to resubmit a report changing the word so that they cam play the remaining 12 minutes on a different night.
Mmmmm, is that allowed???

Yeah, nothing wrong with abandonment. I always figure that I can't really expect a team to continue after a catastrophic injury like that.

I suppose one thing to be careful of in your report is your reasoning - if your report indicates that one team refused to take the field then they may face discipline. Even saying that you decided to terminate after the away team indicated they did not wish to continue possibly carries some risk. You may wish to not disclose that conversation unless asked. Or perhaps your sense of integrity does require you to be upfront with that information.

Previously I've been advised to submit an incident report when there's a clear, very serious injury - it's information that may be of use should there be an insurance claim. Not saying that's required everywhere.

Well that's beaurocracy gone mad! Referee isn't 'suspending' the game because the referee isn't planning on completing it. Should be reported as terminated, and if they want to play out the remaining time, they can. Sounds like somebody is just being a real PITA.

Mmmmm, is that allowed???
Yes. It was an incorrect term used my report. An administrative inaccuracy. The comp rules clearly matches unable to continue in a day due to injuries must be suspended and the remainder to be played at a later date. I did not stop the game intending the remainder not to be played. Alternatively you can send another report in, stating the inaccuracy in your previous report and the correction. In this trivial case, it didn't really matter. In a more serious case (send offs, violance etc, the latter is done).

Well that's beaurocracy gone mad! Referee isn't 'suspending' the game because the referee isn't planning on completing it. Should be reported as terminated, and if they want to play out the remaining time, they can. Sounds like somebody is just being a real PITA.
I find your post using the term 'terminated' kind of wanting rid it of the mentioned bureaucracy but at the same time justifying it :) The league just wanted to cover itself for any appeal by the losing team due to the history of similar appeals.

Yes. It was an incorrect term used my report. An administrative inaccuracy. The comp rules clearly matches unable to continue in a day due to injuries must be suspended and the remainder to be played at a later date. I did not stop the game intending the remainder not to be played. Alternatively you can send another report in, stating the inaccuracy in your previous report and the correction. In this trivial case, it didn't really matter. In a more serious case (send offs, violance etc, the latter is done).

So in theory had it been "suspended" with a couple of minutes to go everyone would have to come back just to play 2 minutes of football?

So in theory had it been "suspended" with a couple of minutes to go everyone would have to come back just to play 2 minutes of football?
Yes, if the result matters in the table and can be changed in two minutes (one goal in it). In practice though, I am pretty sure if the result does not matter, they would possibly agree to have the result as it stands, but either team can ask for the remainder to be played. TBH I am not sure of the exact details of the rule.

Ambulance is called. To be told it’s a 15-20 minute response. So potentially 45 mins with treatment.

That's quick apparently.

I just heard on the grapevine that a lad had his leg broken in two places yesterday in one of the league matches and it took three hours for the ambulance to get to him. He had to stay on the pitch all that time. Horrific to hear, never nice to have to deal with. Three hours though... :mad:

That's quick apparently.

I just heard on the grapevine that a lad had his leg broken in two places yesterday in one of the league matches and it took three hours for the ambulance to get to him. He had to stay on the pitch all that time. Horrific to hear, never nice to have to deal with. Three hours though... :mad:
That's quick apparently.

Only blessing, if any, is time of year. Middle of winter would be so much worse.

I injured a keeper 34 years ago doing something similar, ripped knee and dislodged patella, looked awful, tendons and muscles exposed. Totally accidental on this occasion but not good to see an ambulance on the pitch, we actually carried on with him on the side! Changed times now though!

Had an ambulance arrive in 4 mins in the summer - well run tournament - only a 12 minute delay. Felt like an eternity.

This is one of those where it's best to talk to someone first before submitting a report.
Anyone who doesn't know who to call should find out - just in case something totally crazy happens at one of your games, or assault, or witnessing something unpleasant etc. etc.

Whether a game can be resumed from the time of the abandonment is down to national rules. In England it can't and either the result stands as of the time of the abandonment or the whole game is replayed. Whereas in other countries they'll come back just for the remainder and as has been stated even just to replay a penalty shootout.

Just on a side note to this, if a game has to be abandoned due to an injury and you're informed it will take 30 minutes for the emergency services to arrive, can you abandon the game before the that or do you have to wait for the pitch to be cleared.

Also do you as a referee have to stay around while treatment is taking place or can you leave the field of play ?

Just on a side note to this, if a game has to be abandoned due to an injury and you're informed it will take 30 minutes for the emergency services to arrive, can you abandon the game before the that or do you have to wait for the pitch to be cleared.

Also do you as a referee have to stay around while treatment is taking place or can you leave the field of play ?

Interesting question. Personally I would initially wait and see. If it reaches about 30 mins with no sign of help, get managers in and explain. And I would stay until the last player (probably the injured player) leaves the field. It just wouldnt feel right abandoning a game for an injury and just walking away.

It's important to get the terminology right for administrative purposes. Both abandoned game and suspended games are defined within the LOTG. An abandoned game is not intended to resume. It's replayed in its entirety or not played at all. A suspended game (is intended to) eventually resume from the moment it was suspended.
Whether a game should be abandoned or suspended under certain circumstances depends on the competition rules. If you are not sure which, the safest thing to do is to suspend the game and the competition can abandon it if needed.

I would look at the nature of the match, the weather, facilities (can the players get undercover), the nature of the injury, etc. Some broken legs are soooo bad, nobody wants to continue.
you should stay around, you need to oversee the injured player. If you left the FOP, you could be seen as a heartless bi##h!

Player welfare?

As @lincs22 said, use your judgement. If, say ,it's raining or freezing cold, just make the decision early and get the players out of the inclement weather. Same if you're running out of light, there's a game on afterwards, etc.

But lincs raised a good point - even if you abandon it, you should hang around.

Back