A&H

A whole new GLT experience 🤔

Are you reffing today?

• Yes, Game on

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • No, Going home

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
If it's the world cup, the game doesn't start till its fixed. For those of us doing games for folks out to get some exercise and have fun, who gives a darn if the lines are squiggly. With the captains, "We've got some odd lines today. W'll play the lines and make the best calls we can. Let's not have grief over it. [smile]"

The Referee Store
If it's the world cup, the game doesn't start till its fixed. For those of us doing games for folks out to get some exercise and have fun, who gives a darn if the lines are squiggly. With the captains, "We've got some odd lines today. W'll play the lines and make the best calls we can. Let's not have grief over it. [smile]"

I agree if it was a touchline issue, but I wouldn't be happy to let it go for goal lines.

Just opens a world of grief, and no doubt, someone on the losing team will raise an issue with it to the league etc.

It does raise a thought provoking question though, you turn up at pub league and that's what you are faced with.... (lets ignore the circle shapes at the post, but, the general squiggly lines)...

What do you do?
Play by all means. And praise the Lord that you have visible lines.

This was the "GRAND FINAL" of a grassroots division (not my game). Barely any line

1549589959597.png

Half our local grassroots games wouldn't be played if we expected straight lines. I played this at two tiers above local grassroots.

1549590033320.png

If you can't rectify the issue, the course of action is as I stated above .

Not necessarily. It depends of course, on what you class as "minor" but the Laws of the Game state that:
Referees are expected to use common sense and to apply the ‘spirit of the game’ when applying the Laws of the Game, especially when making decisions relating to whether a match takes place and/or continues.
This is especially true for the lower levels of football where it may not always be possible for the Law to be strictly applied. For example, unless there are safety issues, the referee should allow a game to start/continue if:[ ...]
• there is a minor inaccuracy with the markings on the field of play ...

Last edited:
I agree if it was a touchline issue, but I wouldn't be happy to let it go for goal lines.

Just opens a world of grief, and no doubt, someone on the losing team will raise an issue with it to the league etc.

Fine, let them tell the league. What difference would that make to anything? All over the world games will be going ahead this weekend where the lines aren't marked our correctly, if they're there at all. But it's a game of football, a hobby, a social event. I just cannot fathom even considering calling a game off because of something like this. Imahine telling 30 kids and parents that the kids can't play a game theyve been lookong forward to because the ref isn't happy with the goal line! As for adult grass roots, it's the same for both teams and most importantly.......Spirit of the game. Play on!

What difference would that make to anything?

It would get you into trouble.

We had a collective failure once before where we got a quarter of the way through a season and an observer noted that a pitch for one team was incorrectly marked out size-wise. It got raised at the society meeting and referees were duly reminded of their responsibilities to ensure the pitch was of correct standard.

About the only reason nothing more severe came of it was because more than one referee got caught out from it and because at a quarter of the season in, what was the point of doing anything more than rectifying the issue going forward.

So, yeah, I'd err on the safe side of things on this thank you, especially for something as critical as goal lines.

I've played a youth game with pen spot 10 yards from the goal and the penalty area being too small

Correct?

Also when I was AR on an academy pitch - the centre circle was too small - play or not?

I'll admit I've never seen a pitch with markings as bad as some shown on this thread, although I've had a few where lines have been barely visible.

It all comes down to how bad the wiggle of the line/s is and what you as a referee are willing to accept.

The problem is that any issues with lines or pitch dimensions could see a match having to be replayed. I believe it happened with a Women's FA cup match earlier in the season. The pitch was too small and the loosing team appealed and it had to be replayed.

We had a collective failure once before where we got a quarter of the way through a season and an observer noted that a pitch for one team was incorrectly marked out size-wise. It got raised at the society meeting and referees were duly reminded of their responsibilities to ensure the pitch was of correct standard.

About the only reason nothing more severe came of it was because more than one referee got caught out from it and because at a quarter of the season in, what was the point of doing anything more than rectifying the issue going forward.

So, yeah, I'd err on the safe side of things on this thank you, especially for something as critical as goal lines.

Spirit of the game. I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if referees were punished for playing a game if grass roots football because the goal line wasn't straight. The match is more important than the goal line. I can't believe that anyone would seriously consider calling a game of for it. People just want to play at grass roots. Kids want to play and really don't give a stuff if the goal line isn't perfect. There will be 1000s of games all over the world played this weekend on parks with infinitely worse markings on that! Why do we look to call games off at grass roots? We should be looking to get games on unless there's safety concerns. That is what's important

I'll admit I've never seen a pitch with markings as bad as some shown on this thread, although I've had a few where lines have been barely visible.

It all comes down to how bad the wiggle of the line/s is and what you as a referee are willing to accept.

The problem is that any issues with lines or pitch dimensions could see a match having to be replayed. I believe it happened with a Women's FA cup match earlier in the season. The pitch was too small and the loosing team appealed and it had to be replayed.

Women's FA cup is very different to grass roots. I've played games this season on a pitch with markings that were almost invisible. Quick chat about it, everyone wanted to play. I said that everyone will have to accept that I'm not superman and can't see lines that aren't there and that there will be times I'd get it wrong. Everyone agreed. During the game people did moan occasionally and reminded them of what unsaid at the start and that since no one has painted them during the game then I still can't see them sometimes. Had a laugh about it and got on with it. Would I play a semi pro game on it, no. But Saturday morning amateur stuff (the fair play league) or kids footy. Absolutely every time. I'm there again tomorrow as I am every fortnight and no doubt the lines won't have been repainted since before the snow but we'll manage and enjoy the game whatever.

Spirit of the game. I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if referees were punished for playing a game if grass roots football because the goal line wasn't straight. The match is more important than the goal line. I can't believe that anyone would seriously consider calling a game of for it. People just want to play at grass roots. Kids want to play and really don't give a stuff if the goal line isn't perfect. There will be 1000s of games all over the world played this weekend on parks with infinitely worse markings on that! Why do we look to call games off at grass roots? We should be looking to get games on unless there's safety concerns. That is what's important

Amen

Unfortunately havent got a picture but I turned up to a pitch recently with a new groundsman. The goal posts at one end were 1 yard infront of the goal line!!! 🙄

Yes there is an issue with getting a quarter through the season without identifying a pitch with incorrect markings.
The problem is 1. Not noticing it in your inspection and 2. If noticed not reporting it.
There is absolutely no problem with playing the game in the spirit of it if it's not a considered a major issue.

A summer league pitch I officiate in. The ball frequently hits the tree......

The players actually stop when it does and the "unofficial" rule is, we simply drop the ball and whoever had the ball at the time, the other team boot it back to the goalie

has been this way for years......

Attachments

• killearn.jpg
    killearn.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 19
Unfortunately havent got a picture but I turned up to a pitch recently with a new groundsman. The goal posts at one end were 1 yard infront of the goal line!!! 🙄
I am pretty sure you got that wrong. The fact was the the goal line was one yard behind the goal posts :p

Back