A&H

A moment for reflection and advice

cZulu

Level 7 Referee
Hello all, I am now only 7 games into my referee career and I think it is going well with reflection leading to noticeable step by step improvements each game.

Game 7; had a satisfactory game for 88 mins, felt in control and nothing untoward. But then I disallowed a goal for offside (correctly in my opinion). Followed by some words from the ‘aggrieved’ team to the point where I warned some players that anymore would result in a caution.

With some chuntering still obvious my mind was still thinking it over as the free kick was taken over my head and as I am turning I hear screams and shouts of “ref!”. I turn and see a player on the floor but I didn’t see any challenge so felt I had to let play continue.

I realised that my overthinking about the previous offside incident had meant that I forgot about my basic positioning before sanctioning the free kick to be taken and I had been caught out of position!

This led to a caution/sinbin dissent offence (screaming in my face) followed by lots of comments from the team and supporters as I blew the final whistle, left the field and it carried on as I headed back to my car.

I am aware that it was my positioning mistake initially, but given I did not see the challenge could I have handled this situation any differently?
Thanks.

The Referee Store
Give what you see; use the time on set pieces to get into position before blowing your whistle

Hello all, I am now only 7 games into my referee career and I think it is going well with reflection leading to noticeable step by step improvements each game.

Game 7; had a satisfactory game for 88 mins, felt in control and nothing untoward. But then I disallowed a goal for offside (correctly in my opinion). Followed by some words from the ‘aggrieved’ team to the point where I warned some players that anymore would result in a caution.

With some chuntering still obvious my mind was still thinking it over as the free kick was taken over my head and as I am turning I hear screams and shouts of “ref!”. I turn and see a player on the floor but I didn’t see any challenge so felt I had to let play continue.

I realised that my overthinking about the previous offside incident had meant that I forgot about my basic positioning before sanctioning the free kick to be taken and I had been caught out of position!

This led to a caution/sinbin dissent offence (screaming in my face) followed by lots of comments from the team and supporters as I blew the final whistle, left the field and it carried on as I headed back to my car.

I am aware that it was my positioning mistake initially, but given I did not see the challenge could I have handled this situation any differently?
Thanks.
Anyone other than a referee would have no clue how difficult it is to make good calls when mentally distracted from all directions. Add in some fatigue in the latter stages and a moment's lapse in concentration; and suddenly you're the scum of the earth
Refereeing is not the fairest or most forgiving of pastimes I've ever stumbled across

A trick I learned is too reset yourself after something like that offside. Maybe tuck your shirt back in adjust your socks, check your notebook whatever works for you. Re the freekick if it is in the final third and not taken quickly make sure you make it on the whistle

Sounds to me like you were distracted thinking about a previous decision. The time for reflection is after the game, keep your focus.

Great advice there, guys. I often did that, when I first started out. But I soon learned (whether correct decision, or not) you can't change the past...you can only effect the future. So breath deep, dust yourself down..and as Tino says, reset yourself (love the idea of a code to yourself, Tino) and concentrate on the rest of the game.

As Minty advises, time for reflection is after the game. The fact that you are assessing where you may have gone wrong is a good sign though, mate. Being self critical shows you are willing to learn from your mistakes, and you'll reap the benefits in the long run.

Anyone other than a referee would have no clue how difficult it is to make good calls when mentally distracted from all directions.

This is so true.

I know there have been occasions where I’ve not given a card (for example) because I’ve lost sight/forgotten who did what to whom as I’ve been so distracted by a member of the fouled against team chuntering on about the injustice. Or for example, missed someone kicking the ball away, all this after having given the free kick in their favour, because someone is complaining loudly (not about my decision, but the opppositions actions)

I do try and explain to the moaning individual that because I’m dealing with them, i can’t be dealing with the original perpetrator, or missed who kicked the ball way. Sometimes works, often doesn’t.

Back