A&H

A match incident hypothetical question

ref craig

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
What would you guys do i would play advantage then call the penalty send off the defender and caution the keeper Anyone think differently

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 34
The Referee Store
I would do the same as you. Caution for the keeper. Red for the defender and a penalty after playing advantage

Whats a "profesional foul"?

Thats up there with ungentlemanly behaviour, high foot, foul language, shoulder to shoulder as phrases everyone thinks are in he laws but aren't!

Ok second defender DOGSO, penalty + red easy, but :
Is the foul committed by the keeper careless, reckless or with excessive force ? IMO you can't caution a player for a DOGSO-ish foul, it's either DOGSO or no DOGSO. If the striker would have scored, would you've cautioned the GK ?

Don't know if I made myself clear here

Why ? ^^ The book used on purpose a specific terminology "professional foul", now I don't know exactly what that mean so I looked on the internet and found on wiki :
"In various sports, a professional foul is a deliberate act of foul play intended to bring about an advantage for the perpetrator. Professional fouls are usually committed to prevent an opponent from scoring."

So if I understand correctly, this is not obligatory careless or reckless, could be just a basic foul who might not be worthy of a card if it wasn't for the goal situation

May not have been reckless but the definition of a "professional foul" could easily be:
a foul [committed] for the tactical purpose of interfering with or breaking up a promising attack
which is a mandatory caution for unsporting behaviour.

So if I understand correctly, this is not obligatory careless or reckless, could be just a basic foul who might not be worthy of a card if it wasn't for the goal situation

Fortunately for us, its in the opinion of the referee. So that keeper would be going in the book.

What you said when you said it was reckless or when you said it was for interfering with or breaking up a promising attack ? ;)

If you think that the defender is denying an opportunity, how could the GK before that, break a promising attack ? He didn't break anything if the next incident is a DOGSO

What I want to say here is that it's not just about being right (they're only three options (nothing-yellow-red), so even by playing Eennie Meenie Miney Moe, you have 33% chances), it's about being right for the right reasons

Okay

And it's a red for the defender for violent conduct
Yay ! I'm right !

If you think that the defender is denying an opportunity, how could the GK before that, break a promising attack ? He didn't break anything if the next incident is a DOGSO
The law says that the foul should be committed for the purpose of breaking up a promising attack. It doesn't say that it has to succeed. This is one of the few areas of the laws where the intent of the player is relevant.

Back