A&H

A funny incident, what would you do ?

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Player kicks the ball towards you in anger after a free kick went against his team, the ball hits you.

Referee says to the player "You're gone" but pulls the wrong card out by mistake and shows a yellow.

Do you cancel the yellow and give him a red or let it be.

It was 7-0 with ten minutes to go at the time.

The Referee Store
Agree. Embarrassing, but get the right card out. (Seems like this would be more obvious with the UK protocols of writing/telling before showing the card as the player already knows he's being sent off.)

Sounds like a bit of a muppet (the player). I always get his/her name first anyway - but yeah - right-back pocket always for the red.

Yeah, that’s unfortunate. If you get their name first then you can be more composed when getting the card out.

Player kicks the ball towards you in anger after a free kick went against his team, the ball hits you.

Referee says to the player "You're gone" but pulls the wrong card out by mistake and shows a yellow.

I did the opposite a few weeks back. Pulled the red out and held it behind me while I spoke to the player, and then glanced at my hand before I pulled the card right out, noticed it was red (that, and could see him almost s***ing his shorts through his eyes), and told him "Sorry mate, it's a yellow, not a red" and he quickly ran off

I've always thought this was a beautiful footballing moment

Yet, she pulled over the coals for doing this (according to a top female AR at an RA meeting). Which is really disappointing and speaks volumes

I did the opposite a few weeks back. Pulled the red out and held it behind me while I spoke to the player, and then glanced at my hand before I pulled the card right out, noticed it was red (that, and could see him almost s***ing his shorts through his eyes), and told him "Sorry mate, it's a yellow, not a red" and he quickly ran off
Had the same two seasons ago, when I just started using the shorts for my cards. Easy SPA, thought to show a quick card and hot down the number and all hell broke loose.

Really easy to see why though, had put the red in my right pocket. Quickly corrected it and had a good laugh with the left back afterwards but I'm always making sure my cards are in the right spot now

Yet, she pulled over the coals for doing this (according to a top female AR at an RA meeting). Which is really disappointing and speaks volumes

Speaks volumes? Referees are there to referee the game - not create TV moments.

10 mins to go was the kick hard then yes red if it was softed then laugh and get on with it 7-0 co

Had the same two seasons ago, when I just started using the shorts for my cards. Easy SPA, thought to show a quick card and hot down the number and all hell broke loose.

Really easy to see why though, had put the red in my right pocket. Quickly corrected it and had a good laugh with the left back afterwards but I'm always making sure my cards are in the right spot now
Yep, today was my first games in the middle since then, and I made sure where everything was. I think it's easier to stick my hand in my shorts pocket, than my shirt pocket (considering I don't use a notebook at all unless I'm making notes for a red card), so decided from this week that I'm going to keep my yellow in my shorts, and my red in my shirt with my notebook. Before it was the other way around, because that's how I always used to see referees do it.

Although, only gave out one yellow yesterday, and I kind of saw the player s***ing themselves again when he saw my hand reach for my shorts pocket. But then he saw the yellow, and just jogged past saying "Yep, no worries ref. Understood." Good lad.

making it all about her very unprofessional,its a no from me

10 mins to go was the kick hard then yes red if it was softed then laugh and get on with it 7-0 co
hard or soft, they are walking. I’m not ‘laughing off’ a player kicking a ball at me whether it was meant to hit me or not

Back