A&H

A few things

Hey, I resemble that remark.
Don't worry mate ... he's referring to the fact that he often (and quite rightly) manages to pick me up on the LOTG ... but not nearly as much as I pick him up on his spelling and grammar! ;) :D

The Referee Store
Sorry to resurrect an old one, I'm fairly lost with shoulder to shoulder contact.
I'm happy with contact if both players are running in the same direction but have been pulling them up once there is any aggressive leaning on an opponent or any momentum in the contact ie. they barge into the opponent.
In the lotg I can only find this- If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.
Which is very directly referring to an opponent shielding the ball.
I can't really visualise fairly charging in this instance and don't think this is intended to be in other circumstances in a game.
I get the usual "shoulder barges are fine" from managers, players and parents but I can't find anything in the lotg that say so.
I'm generally officiating u14-u18 and it's these charges as well as tackles on sprinting players that cause major injuries in my games even though I'm giving them as fouls, collar bones and broken wrists etc.
Are there any other references in the lotg?

Thanks

Some things we are supposed to know . . .

I think of it as the difference between competing for space or cleaning out an opponent. Two players trying to get to the ball can jostle with their shoulders to get the better position to play the ball (even if it causes one to fall down). But they can’t wind up to strike the other player, or come from the side with speed/force to clear out the opponent (As opposed to competing for the ball). Those are the general hallmarks I use, but I don’t think it spelled out really clearly in the magic book.

Sorry to resurrect an old one, I'm fairly lost with shoulder to shoulder contact.
I'm happy with contact if both players are running in the same direction but have been pulling them up once there is any aggressive leaning on an opponent or any momentum in the contact ie. they barge into the opponent.
In the lotg I can only find this- If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.
Which is very directly referring to an opponent shielding the ball.
I can't really visualise fairly charging in this instance and don't think this is intended to be in other circumstances in a game.
I get the usual "shoulder barges are fine" from managers, players and parents but I can't find anything in the lotg that say so.
I'm generally officiating u14-u18 and it's these charges as well as tackles on sprinting players that cause major injuries in my games even though I'm giving them as fouls, collar bones and broken wrists etc.
Are there any other references in the lotg?

Thanks
This is always a "You need to see it" situation - previous definitions and advice include a need for mutuality (both players charging), ball within playing distance (still a requirement), player concentrating on the ball not the charge, etc.
The ball within playing distance requirement is not only about shielding; as has been written in this forum in the past, it is a requirement because otherwise a shoulder to shoulder charge 70 metres from the ball would have to be allowed.
That used to be an indirect free kick, but changed to direct when careless, reckless, excessive force came into the laws.
You need to judge each case on what you see, and will only upset half of the audience whatever you choose to do!

I look at at the same way as pushing with hand. If the speed of movement of hand is there before contact is made, then it is no longer pushing, it's striking.

Or if you like I allow use of (core) strength but not use of mass+speed (relativity theory).

This can apply to shoulder to shoulder or any other body part. For example put chest on opponent back and gently move forward usually good, run into opponents back with chest contact, no good.

The Luke Shaw video where he shrugs off the Newcastle player might be a nice example? :D

Back