A&H

A bit of DIY

RustyRef

Administrator
Staff member
This is equally shocking and brilliant. All four officials for the Chile vs Argentina World Cup qualifier turned up to the ground without flags, having seemingly left them at the hotel. The solution: cut a broom handle in half and stick a high-vis vest on the end of each. An expensive mistake as it has been reported that both assistants have been suspended for 4 months as a result.

1643562223660.png

The Referee Store
Thats a whole kettle of worms.

As it is, I always carried a battered set in my bag regardless, but, its taken as granted the ref suppled the flags....

a lot of clubs have sets kicking about too

Am not fussed what makes up a flag, I bet pre the over efficient expectations we have today, had a lino flag broke pre match, we be praising the broomstick

no doubts if looks shabby, priority tho, is, where the decisions correct?

Last edited:
having seemingly left them at the hotel.
Surely, the simplest thing to do is to contact the FIFA/CONMEBAL official at the game and make arrangements to get someone to go back to the hotel and retrieve them?
And you’re telling me no one from those organisations could find any suitable flags in Calama?

Surely, the simplest thing to do is to contact the FIFA/CONMEBAL official at the game and make arrangements to get someone to go back to the hotel and retrieve them?
And you’re telling me no one from those organisations could find any suitable flags in Calama?

gd point

I also dont know anything about the location of the game but, if it Hampden, there near 1000 association members within a few miles would have dripped a set in

I can only assume they stayed in a hotel prior to flying into Chile and left them there, as you are right someone would have just driven to the hotel.

With regards to finding other flags, I wonder how close to kick off it was before they realised they were missing a rather key piece of equipment. Perhaps it was so close it left little options.

I can only assume they stayed in a hotel prior to flying into Chile and left them there, as you are right someone would have just driven to the hotel.

With regards to finding other flags, I wonder how close to kick off it was before they realised they were missing a rather key piece of equipment. Perhaps it was so close it left little options.
I can only assume it was after warmups.

What a shambles.

3 officials turned up at Sheff U academy a couple of years ago without flags and had to use bibs instead on an u16 game. We followed them on the next game and let's just say they probably won't have been invited back. Who goes to a match without their flags?

What a shambles.

3 officials turned up at Sheff U academy a couple of years ago without flags and had to use bibs instead on an u16 game. We followed them on the next game and let's just say they probably won't have been invited back. Who goes to a match without their flags?

And surely when you're an international ref you just have everything in a suitcase or two. How do the flags get left out from two ars?

I know we've had some "oh crap I forgot _____" posts on here, but a World Cup qualifier must take the cake.

I panic pre-match, triple checking my bag for spare pencils, flags, shorts, pants and even my head, all this before a reserve league division 6 in the local arse end of nowhere.

I'm amazed that FOUR people didn't double/triple check at the same time for a WCQ, cos knowing me, I'd be checking a billion times, never mind the usual three!

I panic pre-match, triple checking my bag for spare pencils, flags, shorts, pants and even my head, all this before a reserve league division 6 in the local arse end of nowhere.

I'm amazed that FOUR people didn't double/triple check at the same time for a WCQ, cos knowing me, I'd be checking a billion times, never mind the usual three!
Similar, on several occasions I've stopped the car to check for something even though deep down I knew I'd packed it.

This is equally shocking and brilliant. All four officials for the Chile vs Argentina World Cup qualifier turned up to the ground without flags, having seemingly left them at the hotel. The solution: cut a broom handle in half and stick a high-vis vest on the end of each. An expensive mistake as it has been reported that both assistants have been suspended for 4 months as a result.

View attachment 5409

I'd agree with this harsh sanction if officials and the relevant bodies were as harsh on player dissent ... this seems an utterly disproportionate punishment

I always have one final check of the bag once I've put it in my truck.

The thought of turning up without something....

This is me, too. I still managed to turn up with my boots once. (They fell out of my bag between the front room and the door. Wife had to drive them to the venue.)

I go one step farther. Not only do I always bring my flags in my bag with me, but I always keep a spare set of super-cheap flags in the trunk of my car because I know flags will be the one thing I have the biggest chance of forgetting. If I have one of those "oh crap" moments, I just go back to my car and get the red and yellow flag set. They don't look that great, but cheap flags are a lot better than no flags.

For those of you 'checking' on your way - don't you just leave everything in your bag?

The only essentials I pack on matchday are boots, drink and some half time chocolate (which I DO share, if I'm in a 3!) now that we are arriving changed. I suppose pre covid we DID pack our kit, but my flags defo stay in my bag all the time.

Yes, but I still check, because it only takes a singular brain-fart and we're off to a WCQ without a set of flags. :)

Agree, I know what I have put in my bag but it still doesn't prevent me stopping the car to check again.

I think I am mentally scarred from a game years ago when I went straight from work. I went to get changed and found I had no shorts, even though I was sure I had packed them, and ended up refereeing in my work trousers. When I got to the office the next day they were on my chair with a note attached saying "did you miss these?". A workplace prank for which revenge was enacted ... 😂

Agree, I know what I have put in my bag but it still doesn't prevent me stopping the car to check again.

I think I am mentally scarred from a game years ago when I went straight from work. I went to get changed and found I had no shorts, even though I was sure I had packed them, and ended up refereeing in my work trousers. When I got to the office the next day they were on my chair with a note attached saying "did you miss these?". A workplace prank for which revenge was enacted ... 😂

equivalent retribution could include a misplaced birthday or anniversary gift for a spouse...i hope...

come on, what did you do!?

Back