A&H

A back-pass? Or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a goalkeeper, if Alex as the referee had told an opposition player to shoot when I was off my line, I would have been looking at a long ban for the abuse I would have given him. I hope that's a joke, because it's a ridiculous thing to do.

Back on topic, if the intention of the defender was not clearly to pass the ball to the keeper then I would have allowed play to continue.

The Referee Store
As a goalkeeper, if Alex as the referee had told an opposition player to shoot when I was off my line, I would have been looking at a long ban for the abuse I would have given him. I hope that's a joke, because it's a ridiculous thing to do.

Back on topic, if the intention of the defender was not clearly to pass the ball to the keeper then I would have allowed play to continue.

It wasn't a joke - I did it and would do it again ... in this type of game only ... it was a VERY uncompetitive friendly where teams were swapping sides, giving away penalties to practice them - I even took 2 corners myself :) ... certainly would not do it in any game that even one player on the pitch was taking seriously

Back on topic - I agree with Rich the Keeper - it is all down to the intention of the player .. if there is no intention but the GK takes adavantage of the situation and picks the ball up - play on

PL, I mentioned your age simply because i realised that not everyone has had their sense of humour injections before they're out of their teens.

Misinterpretation is always a danger where the written word is concerned.

perhaps you thought my comment about frustrated footballers was specifically aimed at you because i quoted your post, perhaps not. perhaps i accidentally hit a nerve, if so, it was certainly never my intention

i can't forget that you came onto the site complaining about red and yellow cards being shown in profiles (this, from someone who didn't keep a record) and, quite frankly, i'm amazed that Ross seemingly bought into that argument - so i guess i judged you early, young lad, good at what he does, but worryingly full of himself at such a young age

unfortunately nothing i've seen since has changed my mind

not a criticism just a point of view

With regards to the original post I would play on.

With regards to the Ref or their assistants helping out by giving the players advice I saw a remarkable performance the other day at a Combined Counties League game (senior football - non league level 5).

One of the assistants gave advice the whole time the ball was anywhere within earshot.
A high ball bouncing towards the corner flag, with two players jostling would be met by "No fouls, no fouls gents, no fouls"
At throw ins he would verbally warn players about not pushing, not fouling..and so it continued.
"No diving" "Keep standing" etc etc it just went on and on.

I was stunned. He kept giving advice for 90 minutes.

All that and he incorrectly flagged for several blatant throw ins/coner-goal kicks.
He probably thought he had a stormer. Worse still, he probably is reading this now!

Okay, maybe I didn't pick up on your sense of humour but neither did two others who both certainly surpassed their teenage years a while ago. Definitely not down to age! But I agree detecting humour on such posts can be challenging!

I did not assume it was directed at me I merely pointed out it was an immature and potentially offensive post to some on here especially when you don't know any of us personally. If it was aimed at me (which lets be honest, it probably was) I do in fact still play the game and love it and represent my faculty at university. However I also love refereeing and realise I have the potential to go further in this career than my playing career.

I also find it ridiculous you judge me on one post I have made. I do in fact stand by that comment. We are all entitled to our difference in opinions. Many senior referees within my county are very much against the publication of things such cautions on social media. This is no different. If you disagree, I respect you right to do that and certainly wont judge you for it.

I am very interested to see what further posts have enabled you to arrive at this judgement on my character (young lad, good at what he does, but worryingly full of himself at such a young age)- especially the aspect 'full of himself'. Perhaps this could be down to the fact that I won't simply back down and that I don't treat the word of those senior in age to me on here as gospel. I will always respect the opinion of others yet maintain my integrity and back my own beliefs. I certainly wouldn't judge a person before I have met them and got to know them.

With regards to the original post I would play on.

With regards to the Ref or their assistants helping out by giving the players advice I saw a remarkable performance the other day at a Combined Counties League game (senior football - non league level 5).

One of the assistants gave advice the whole time the ball was anywhere within earshot.
A high ball bouncing towards the corner flag, with two players jostling would be met by "No fouls, no fouls gents, no fouls"
At throw ins he would verbally warn players about not pushing, not fouling..and so it continued.
"No diving" "Keep standing" etc etc it just went on and on.

I was stunned. He kept giving advice for 90 minutes.

All that and he incorrectly flagged for several blatant throw ins/coner-goal kicks.
He probably thought he had a stormer. Worse still, he probably is reading this now!

i witnessed a similar thing from a referee at a summer tournament last summer. Never shut up from first to last whistle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back